Scoop Handle Questions

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Phil_R

Mar 27, 2010
Live Oak, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Garrett / Minelab / Whites / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My stainless-steel water scoop is used primarily as a wet sand / waters edge scoop. Handle is wood, 1-3/8" x 1-3/8" squared bottom post-hole digger, finished / sealed with boiled linseed oil. (I use boiled linseed oil on all wood handled tools.) Also wipe bare metal equipment with linseed oil to prevent rust.

If spending a lot of time wading in deeper water, a marine epoxy paint would be my choice for wood handles. Occasional wading doesn't hurt the boiled linseed oil finish, and the oil finish feels better to my hand than a painted finish.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have fiberglass handles on my scoops because they were not available when I bought the scoops. Since I wade, I want a handle that floats and I paint it white on top so I can see it when I am in deeper water.

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field and Minelab Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As you can see by my picture, i use fiberglass handles for my scoop. If you look at the end of the handle you'll notice a grip. As long as that grip stays in place, my scoop will float. Or i could just spray expanding foam down the hollow handle and it will float with or without the grip. This is a very sturdy fiberglass posthole handle.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG00127-20100419-1328.jpg
    IMG00127-20100419-1328.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 338
OP
OP
nuggetshooter

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hawaii MDer -- Is that the 5GRANIK scoop? I just ordered the 5GRANIK-2 scoop. Should be here next week I hope. I also ordered a fiberglass handle that looks like yours from Ace Hardware. Should be here next week too. Did you have to reduce your handle down much for it to fit? And finally,how do you like the scoop? Thanks
Darryl

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I like wood since it floats and is easy on the hands. But, since U have already ordered a fiberglass handle what is the point? Why not wait and try the one U get and then C how YOU like it. If it works 4 U fine, if not try another till U find one U like

OP
OP
nuggetshooter

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The point is I also have a scoop with a wood handle and I want to know how best to protect it. If experienced people, like yourself, feel fiberglass is better, and they have good reason(s) to do so, I might decide to replace it with a fiberglass one. Or, based on the responses I get, I may decide to keep the wood handle on the scoop and protect it. I have no experience with either the fiberglass or the wood handle, and I am looking to experienced metal detectorists to help me out. My RTG sand scoop has a metal handle. So, I am doing some research to try and make a reasonable and informed decision.

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I don't have fiberglass handles on my scoops because they were not available when I bought the scoops. Since I wade, I want a handle that floats and I paint it white on top so I can see it when I am in deeper water.

Sandman, have you tried various colors such as fluorescent orange or lime green etc, and found that white has better visability in ocean water?

TKS, :-)

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
nuggetshooter said:
The point is I also have a scoop with a wood handle and I want to know how best to protect it. If experienced people, like yourself, feel fiberglass is better, and they have good reason(s) to do so, I might decide to replace it with a fiberglass one. Or, based on the responses I get, I may decide to keep the wood handle on the scoop and protect it. I have no experience with either the fiberglass or the wood handle, and I am looking to experienced metal detectorists to help me out. My RTG sand scoop has a metal handle. So, I am doing some research to try and make a reasonable and informed decision.

As I said I prefer wood but the only research that will really give U the "reasonable and informed decision" U seek is to use them all and C which one is best for U U have wood and metal now with a fiberglass one on the way-Just a matter of time and the mystery will B solved

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, that is one of starv's scoops, and that looks like a treasure map it's leaning up against! Anyone make it out yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread