SCORE!! 22+ oz for only $20!!!

b_kauz

Jan 3, 2011
So the wife and I always tend to hit up flea markets but haven't done many garage sales in our area until recently The last two weeks have been pretty good. Last week found an old Mego Batman & Robin for $2 a piece (easily $20 resale), a black 1964 GI Joe for $5(probably get $25-$30) for him. We usually only go on Friday afternoons after I get off work but this weekend we decided to get up early Saturday morning and go as well. Friday afternoon I was able to pick up three vintage sports Pennants for $10 (probably get $20 out of them).

Then Saturday morning was starting to look like a skunk when we crossed a garage sale not in the local listings. Browsing around it was mainly motorcycle parts, a couple old big screens & your typical house ware, then on the floor I spot a wooden box with some dining utensils, marked $27.50. I go over, take a look and find three pieces right off the bat marked sterling so instead of digging through the rest I just throughout an offer of $20. The lady gladly took my offer saying she had them forever and just wanted rid of them. Get them home and go through them and end up with 8 Westmoreland George & Martha knives, 8 forks & 8 spoons. Then two larger Arvin Spoons. Total weight of almost 24 oz. By far my best garage sale find to date.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love finding the silver! I scored 2 pairs of weighted candlesticks myself on Saturday, $5 for all of them.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I love finds like that! I think my best sterling find ever was around 70oz for $50. They laughed at me like I was a sucker as I walked away quickly with my heart pounding!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: He who laughs last, laughs best.

I watched someone pay $2100 for a 12 person 5 piece place setting of Gorham sterling flatware last Saturday at an estate sale. Not me brother!

Funny thing is, the last two decent silver scores I had, the sellers knew the pieces were sterling, go figure. And I had one lady say to me not long ago regarding silver, "oh, people still buy and collect silver"? Unfortunately she didn't have any.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread