Scored a couple good pieces today!

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I went back over to my WV spot thinking I might have some luck after all this rain. I wasn't disappointed and was stoked to find no footprints in the field. I found the big kanawha kirk stemmed piece in the first few minutes and about hurt myself from the yell I let out. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face and just about the time the excitement wore off I see a nicely worked base sticking out of the mud. I mumbled some wing and a prayer and pulled out my find of the year, a killer early knife, or preform, or perhaps finished piece? It has some outstanding flaking and secondary edgework. I thought the tip was nicked off but there's no damage, sort of a chisel tip. What do you think, opinions and all comments are apprecited and welcomed. HH

Upvote 0

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
:hello2:
it is so fun to see all yall find...thanks for taking the time to post...and share

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Good day of hunting. I've been finding artifacts made from kanawha flint. It seems the books I have don't give the kanawha flint much respect.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Check it out, Thirty7 -- both the Kirk (a nice one) and the knife (the Kirk was a knife anyhow) are beveled the same way. Same basal thinning. A couple or six whacks to work shoulders into it, and your knife's another Kirk Stemmed.

Super place & super stuff !!!

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
uniface said:
Check it out, Thirty7 -- both the Kirk (a nice one) and the knife (the Kirk was a knife anyhow) are beveled the same way. Same basal thinning. A couple or six whacks to work shoulders into it, and your knife's another Kirk Stemmed.

Super place & super stuff !!!

Wow, I was just holding both of them in my hands and was thinking the gray blade may just be a highly developed Kirk preform! Then I got online and read your post...talk about synchronicity. I have to agree with you the flaking , form, and thickness is spot on.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
RichPA said:
Good day of hunting. I've been finding artifacts made from kanawha flint. It seems the books I have don't give the kanawha flint much respect.

Thanks Rich, yeah Kanawha might not be flint ridge, or sonora, but I like it, it shows flaking really well imo. Like nearly all lithic materials it comes in many grades, and some is of high quality. It must have been good enough for the ancients who chose to work with it thousands of years ago. There is alot of kanawha pieces paleo to missippian, and WV is absolutely full of workable lithic materials, so imo Kanawha chert and flint is a very good material that happens to be dull or predictable in color. I've never been one to suscribe to this lithic hierarchy that has become the norm in this hobby, I give all materials equal appreciation, because let's be honest here, they weren't making pieces of art, they were making tools of survival.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Bent-Twig said:
thirty7,

That was an awesome hunt!!

Would be hard to come out of a field that produces such nice stuff!!

Congrats
Twig.

Thank ya Twig, I hard a hard time leaving. I cant wait to get back, matter of fact if I might go back tonight with a shovel and lcd headlamp and see if there was any more blades under the preform I found.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt!!!!! Do you think the second one was a preform kanawha ? It looks finished to me and perfect. The flaking is the same to the center sorta but they drove it off all the way across at the tip. Its a super find. Both of them. Down here it would be real close to a Copena (second one) ??????? There is no flare out for the base of a kirk either. I personally think its much older than the kirk even though it looks like a copena. lol Older,older.
Man great hunt I hope you get out there and find a bunch more. :notworthy:
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
What a great hunt!!!!! Do you think the second one was a preform kanawha ? It looks finished to me and perfect. The flaking is the same to the center sorta but they drove it off all the way across at the tip. Its a super find. Both of them. Down here it would be real close to a Copena (second one) ??????? There is no flare out for the base of a kirk either. I personally think its much older than the kirk even though it looks like a copena. lol Older,older.
Man great hunt I hope you get out there and find a bunch more. :notworthy:
HH
TnMtns

Thanks man, appreciate the comments. You could be right about the age, parallel flaking and secondary retouch on the edges. I just dont know if it's a complete piece, or a developed preform, that's the tricky part. If it's complete I'm thinking prekirk as well? I may send this to Jackson, see what he thinks.

Shoot any of those flint tips yet? I've been knapping some new designs out of some obsidian that will be ready for the second leg of bow season. I'll keep you posted over in reproductions.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
killer finds 37! i need a day like that,havent in a while.congrats on a killer day.imo that blade is the finished product.usually dont see the edge work on a preform,and the base appears to have been thinned,would the base have been thinned before the notches got put in??also it looks like the edge work goes to the base,could that indicate it wasnt intended to get notched??thx for sharing the pix :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Appreciate the comments guys, HH

Greg, I'm starting to think it is a finished piece, I've done some research on it and think it may possibly be Guilford related? but the flaking looks earlier than that. It may be a finished early one off knife, who knows? I think it's worth getting authenticate, I'm going to see what Jackson thinks.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
T7
Wow. Very nice pieces. I'm with Twig, I'm afraid I'd have to call my wife for a bucket of chicken and fresh underwear cause I wouldn't be leaving that dirt pile for a while!
Very nice indeed.
Doc

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
docmann said:
T7
Wow. Very nice pieces. I'm with Twig, I'm afraid I'd have to call my wife for a bucket of chicken and fresh underwear cause I wouldn't be leaving that dirt pile for a while!
Very nice indeed.
Doc
Now Doc you shouldnt be telling us we should be eating buckets of chicken??? lol am just teasing. I bet thirty7 could survive out there if he had to. :laughing7:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
TnMountains said:
docmann said:
T7
Very nice indeed.
Doc
Now Doc you shouldnt be telling us we should be eating buckets of chicken??? lol am just teasing. I bet thirty7 could survive out there if he had to. :laughing7:

Did someone say a bucket of chicken? I could survive for days on a bucket of chicken. :D

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
docmann said:
T7
Very nice indeed.
Doc

Lol, It's a tough spot to leave for sure, If it was my property I'd build a shelter, a grill, camp out and start walking in the morning, fry up some trout for lunch and get right back on it. It's actually a mx track on an old site which makes it ideal because after every race and a couple of rains there's no telling what you're going to find. I'm just glad the owner is a good guy and doesn't have a problem with me hunting and doesn't have an appreciation for artifacts because the place is a gold mine imo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread