Scored old penny rolls from bank with off-centers. A Question for the experts.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went into my local bank to pick up halves and noticed a box behind the counter that had some old penny rolls in them and bought them. Just opened the first roll and it is a mix of 60's and 70's. Nothing older than 79. The weird thing is that most of them are these 1979 which all appear to be off-center to me. My question for the experts: are these off-center enough to be considered errors? Should I keep them individually as such or roll them with my other coppers? Thanks! I'm relatively new to CRH, as you can tell.

Edit: Just found a helpful article online that explained these to me. Looks likes these are slightly misaligned dies, not offcenters, since the reverse is fine. My question still stands: are they worth keeping separately in flips, or just roll them with all the other coppers?

Pennies-1.jpg

1979-Offcenter-Penny.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Personally, I ignore most misaligned die coins, unless part of the image, date, or lettering is impaired. Just not enough interest from collectors.

Time for more coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are within mint specs, so not worth any premium.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, as the others said not much demand; nevertheless interesting. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread