Scored one of my best coins today...old farm house. Must see. UPDATED PICS

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
My friend is fixing up an old house for some people he knows. I got permission to hunt there last week. The house doesn't look ancient now because its been updated a few times...so on and so forth. However I check out my map of the Township from 1875 and it shows a house there so its at least that old. So there's no telling what you could find.

When I went there last week, I hunted for about 1.5 hours. I found 7 coins. 5 were wheat pennies...I got a 1920, 1935, 1948S x2, and a 1956D. Also got a dime and penny.

Anyway...so today I went back.

I searched for 2 hours. The house has actually been moved from where it originally sat.

Anyway, I go back today and find 2 more wheats (41 and 52D). Also got a nickel and 2 zincolns. Honestly, I was kind of disappointed. I wasn't finding crap. Problem with this place is that there isn't that much area to search in a way because the "Backyard" of the old house is where the house sits now. Where the house sat is so jacked up with crazy signals/interference.

Anyway, I wasn't really expecting it...but I get this decent tone...showing halfway down the meter on the Explorer, but doesn't sound that great. Kind of sounds like a Zinc Penny, but the number are wrong. But it is a solid tone. Most sounds in this yard are kind of crazy.

The numbers were Cond 26/Ferr 5-7. Anyway it was solid so I dug it.

I popped out a good plug, probably 5" worth of dirt was in the plug. Dug a 2/3 circle and popped it out. On the bottom of the plug...facing up in the air...was a circular spot of dirt/roots where a very large coin had been.

I looked down in the hole...saw a large, old looking copper and shoved it in my pocket. I knew I had something cool, but wanted to get home to check it out.

I believe it is a 28mm coin...nearly the size of the half dollar.

The front of the coin has a guys head on it.

It says "GULIELMUS IIII" on the left side. "DEI GRATIA" on the right side.

Below the head is the date..."1831"

On the back of the coin it has a person holding a shield and a trident/spear.

The back of the coin says "BRITANNIAR REX FID: DEF:"

I'm still in shock. Not too bad for a yard of an old house. That must mean the property is old.

AWESOME...its an oldie. Its actually my oldest coin from the 1800's. I have three coins from the 1700's, but this is my oldest 1800's coin. I have a few Indianheads from the 1860's.

Just had to share it with you guys. To think I go from having a less than decent hunt to all of a sudden making maybe my FIND OF THE YEAR.

Attachments

• 1831Front2.jpg
    1831Front2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 1831Back2.jpg
    1831Back2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
The pics don't do it that much justice. Coin has lots of detail in it. I only clean my coins with water...never anything else. I'm sure I could make it look more presentable, but dont want to damage the value...if there even is any. My guess is its probably worth $50 or less. Either way...doesn't really matter what its worth. I'd never sell it.

Deerhunter24

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey that is great! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :hello2:

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Congrats on your oldest 1800s era coin. I love the old stuff. Is it Canadian? Now ya gotta go get an even older American large cent. They are out there. :headbang:

DanMI

May 26, 2007
Oh man, thats is a sweet coin!!! WTG and keep pounding that place!!!! I sure love seeing the oldies you find!! HH

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright.....Congrats on the oldie!! Good luck on return hunts :thumbsup:

robo

Aug 21, 2006
Wyandotte, MI.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Minelab 705, Tesoro Vaquero, And my Favorite, CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. Those oldies sure make your day!

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
Wow i just realized i have that same coin, in about the same condition i pulled out of a site near holloway, i also got a holed large cent on that site a v nickel and i think ian grabbed a couple, no shit a couple 2 cents pieces, ill have to locate it and post a picture, i am almost positive that is the same coin.....hows that for luck..... does anyone know how much the coin was for?

DTM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread