Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Folks,

I have been gold panning here in Scotland UK for 20 yrs, not a lot of gold here but still fun, I am looking to try panning in the USA and will spend three weeks in September (flights are cheaper then) I am looking for suggestions on a good place to go as I won't have the luxury of being able to travel around due to limited time.
I guess Alaska will be the number one location? but I would rather be in a more interesting area, Alaska looks too much like Scotland!
Thanks

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Maybe Arizona or Idaho? I'm not a gold person other than the upper left side of my mouth. I do have 7 gold rings I've found. Good luck.:treasurechest:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Scottish888! Take a look at Sub-Forums: United Kingdom for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, you will get more responses if you post in our gold forums, prospecting or mining.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Scottish 888,
Because my roots are in the Highlands, I've had the opportunity to metal detect in the Kildonan Burn, Helmsdale, Scotland.
I've also panned in Alaska, and for my money, I'd choose Alaska if I were to do it again.
[FONT=cabrito_regular]gun soirbhich leat!
[/FONT]
Don......

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info but I want to try my luck in the USA....or Canada

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Arizona, panning in natural water - that's open to the public, is pretty much limited to Lynx Creek, in Fain Park, located in Prescott Valley, AZ. The GPAA, and other gold prospecting clubs have multiple river and creek claims in California, and Idaho, so you might want to research clubs in those states.:skullflag:

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to all,
I had thought about Oregon for the beauty but Arizona has a very tempting climate.
As a tourist will I be able to keep/sell and gold found or are there restrictions?
This holiday is to be a mini prospecting trip as I would like to try and scratch a living panning gold, don't need a lot of money but I like to make my own whjile strong fit and able.

Thanks

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kildonan :)

I holiday up there once a year, glad you know it.
Not much gold, mostly very fine grain or dust but further up the river (as far as the free license allows) we got enough gold to make a wedding ring for a family member...it was two week holiday going for a few hours every couple of days.
So I reckon I have the ability to get the gold...if it is there :)
Alsaka does produce the most and I do want to have a go at making a living on the gold.

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What are the chances of some of the smaller aluvial mining company operations letting you pan on their ground in return for a few days work?
Has anyone tried?

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great finds! and thank you for the information, will check all out