Scottish copper coin

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
These are the latest pictures of finds, from my mini afternoon session. There's a Scottish copper coin I think 17th Century. A hammered half penny bent in half (no id yet). The other hammered on it's own, is a half groat of Elizabeth 1st 1558-1603. The field will very soon be seeded, I will try to get a couple more sessions in after work, weather permitting .

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_5628.JPG
    IMG_5628.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5629.JPG
    IMG_5629.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
Upvote 8

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. I dream of finding silver from that era that's bigger than a half real, which is what I already have.

Try hot peroxide on that bent coin.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful silver. The history there makes me envious.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could find the article online that explains why these hammered were deliberately folded in half.:icon_scratch: It annoys me that I've forgotten why???

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I will try to ID the Scottish copper for you later when I am home as I am becoming familiar with them now. Off the top of my head it's a Bawbee or Turner coin. If it is either one of those you have a hell of a nice coin they don't normally come out in that great of shape. Can you take a photo if the other side of it and post it? Cracking hammy too!

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds!

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Awesome finds. I will try to ID the Scottish copper for you later when I am home as I am becoming familiar with them now. Off the top of my head it's a Bawbee or Turner coin. If it is either one of those you have a hell of a nice coin they don't normally come out in that great of shape. Can you take a photo if the other side of it and post it? Cracking hammy too!
yes I will take a picture of the other side :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Scottish Turner, Charles11 two pence.

SS

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Here's a picture, of the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 57

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cru,
Are you thinking along these lines:
"The bent coin as a love token may be derived from the well-recorded practice of bending a coin when making a vow to a saint, such as vowing to give it to the saint's shrine if the saint would intercede to cure a sick human, animal, etc. Bending a coin when one person made a vow to another was another practice which arose from this."
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_piece
(Love tokens section)
Don.....

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ID Silversearcher I just got home and read everything. Looks like a Charles II turner to me. Can you see a date on it Robfinds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread