Scouting and Scoring Some Keepers.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. After work I decided to continue scouting some areas in a soy bean field I have been over a few years ago. New gear and a few more years experience made me confident I could find a few goodies here. Started with some iron, pull tabs, and a bit of can slaw to get my juices flowing. Then I scored the old white patina musket ball. Love me some old white lead. I got a nickel signal but, wasn't convinced it was actually a nickel with all the pull tabs popping up. Saw the dirty nickel sized disk and was hoping for at least a V nickel. To my surprise it was a War Nickel. Not really disappointed with that. I got a High VDI in the low 80's repeatable and was hoping old silver and I flung out the large broken brass skeleton key. Would have been a really nice key if intact. Still pretty cool. Lots of shotgun head stamps with a 16 gauge J.C. Higgens in the mix. I worked until a bit after sundown and my batteries running low decided my finds were sufficient to head for some hot grub and then back the Command Center. Tomorrow's got more opportunities for some new adventures so I'll get some rest and get after it then. Thanks for stopping by. Kurios1

Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 004.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 001.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 002.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 003.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 005.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 009.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 010.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 011.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 012.JPG Schultz Soy Bean Field Morman Foundation 013.JPG

Upvote 14

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning the iron and trash our of the field is rewarding you with some nice targets.
Congrats on the War Nickel, and skeleton key.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never know what you will find in an old field, you did a good job. Congratulations on your finds!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're getting that field hunting down to a science, congrats on the key and war nic. Good luck today. Art

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the War Nickel Kurios. The good thing about pulling the trash out of fields, is that is wont be there the next time you go. Trash in the fields isnt replenished like it is in the parks and forest preserves.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome saves Kurios!
Musket ball, Skeleton key, Silver and looks like a Thimble?
Thats a great hunt in my books.
Any idea how old the musket ball may be? I found one once before.
Are you hunting near the farmers shade tree?

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're getting that field hunting down to a science, congrats on the key and war nic. Good luck today. Art

Ha ha! Never been much of a scientist. I do pay close attention to the fine T-net members who score the cool stuff and where they get it. I am following that pattern and it indeed is beginning to pay off. I certainly appreciate the example you put forth here on the forum. Thanks mate.:hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the War Nickel Kurios. The good thing about pulling the trash out of fields, is that is wont be there the next time you go. Trash in the fields isnt replenished like it is in the parks and forest preserves.

Yes sir. I consider all these great permissions a privilege to hunt. I carry large rocks out of the field if I can manage them. Large iron as well. I hope I live long enough to make some of these sights pretty "quiet".

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome saves Kurios!
Musket ball, Skeleton key, Silver and looks like a Thimble?
Thats a great hunt in my books.
Any idea how old the musket ball may be? I found one once before.
Are you hunting near the farmers shade tree?

I have hunted here several years ago and didn't find much. Having a new respect for field hunting I hope to find some better stuff surrounding this old historic area. No idea how old the musket ball is. Perhaps 1840's or beyond I reckon. I do love the old white patina on lead balls. The "thimble" thingy appears to be without a dome? It's very light gauge metal and fragile. Might be a thimble? Cold and drizzly this morning. Not sure I'll get out into it. Maybe into the woods as they provide some barrier from the elements. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread