Scouting out late 1800+ ish or early 1900 abandoned mine

Panama Brett

Nov 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20130611_124632.png

ForumRunner_20130611_122111.png

Old steam boiler and possible entrance to shaft or tomb rocks stacked perfect in shape of tomb any Ideas?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130611_122455.png
    ForumRunner_20130611_122455.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 205

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lol Burial ground?? several miners? I found one this past weekend... im curious but still dont want to bring anyone home with me... Nice Boiler! Chicago make! 1890 to 1913 as for the rock... Schist?? looks like it to me... of course i have found gold even in schist (with heavy mineralization) but not often... usually just mica.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is strange lol, miners don't usually stack rocks like that, wonder what they were mining there.

OP
OP
Panama Brett

Panama Brett

Nov 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info going back there to move that rock will take more pictures and post the pile of shist rock was 40+ feet high...

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool sounds like a plan, let us know what you find be careful though lol.

OP
OP
Panama Brett

Panama Brett

Nov 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol Burial ground?? several miners? I found one this past weekend... im curious but still dont want to bring anyone home with me... Nice Boiler! Chicago make! 1890 to 1913 as for the rock... Schist?? looks like it to me... of course i have found gold even in schist (with heavy mineralization) but not often... usually just mica.

What method did you use to find gold in the schist btw?

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like ya got a stacked rocks they used for a water tank?
in the ole days the most abundant material to build with was rocks, as all the trees were used for fuel.

since the miners had to move the rocks out of the mine, might as well use it as building material.
sometimes they will build a square stacked rocks and fill with low grade ore.

But I think you have a water tank platform.

if your looking gold in any rock all you have to do, just crush the rock and pan if there is any gold youll see it .

Good luck.......

OP
OP
Panama Brett

Panama Brett

Nov 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sence about the water tank a friend of mine said the same, its a good 1800 ft from the nearest water source however I guess they either hand pumped it or buckets full looks like a lot of work if you ask me... I brough back some quarts samples that I want to crush will let you know If I find some colour... thanks for the info...

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That makes sence about the water tank a friend of mine said the same, its a good 1800 ft from the nearest water source however I guess they either hand pumped it or buckets full looks like a lot of work if you ask me... I brough back some quarts samples that I want to crush will let you know If I find some colour... thanks for the info...

In the old days every one worked hard that's the only way they got things done, amazing what they accomplished all by hand and horse power.
that hunk of steel in your pic was no easy thing getting it out there!

the tank was probably wood ? look around for the rings that held it together if it was wood they will be kickin around somewhere ?
go look for the ore cob pile if you can find it, that way you know what they where after. Take a rake out and rake the leaves away to find the ore pile chances are youll get a little color.

good luck.......

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the rock wall is a foundation...many mines have these features..to mount equipment or whatever was needed to refine the metal...
especially in areas that are not level...a difficult concept for flatlanders to grasp...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread