Scrap Brass almost pays for 1950's yard sprinkler....

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At an estate sale with some pretty cluttered outside sheds, I dug through old wooden boxes and piles of junk. With the small L.E.D. light, I was in the dark as I looked under some workbench storage shelves. Found some brass and copper faucets and tubing and something covered with a thick layer of dirt.... Wiping away some of the dirt, it was a red-orange water sprinkler. Looking at the base at first, I thought it might be some 1950's hood ornament.....

One of the money collecting guys said, "I sure didn't see that." I didn't like the tone of his voice.... In the end, the professionally run sale's guys working the sale sold me the painted/galvanized bucket, the scrap brass/copper, and a rocket shaped water sprinkler for $15.00.

The rocket yard sprinkler cleaned-up pretty well, and the local scrap yard said the small painted/galvanized bucket with 7lbs. of yellow brass is now bringing $1.93 lb..... making the yard sprinkler cost is $1.49....at our own garage sale maybe the old bucket might bring that....:tongue3:

Know much about the sprinkler?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• 1950s yard sprinkler.JPG
    1950s yard sprinkler.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 151
  • brass scrap.JPG
    brass scrap.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 103
  • yard sprinkler.JPG
    yard sprinkler.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20180306-202914.png
awesome find ! a very sought after sprinkler

Red Rocket
click here for full size image
Courtesy of G. Bowlin
Year: 1950
Manufacturer: W.D.Allen
Chicago, Illinois
Model: Rocket
Type: Pressure Drive Spray
Typical use: Commercial, Residential
This residential sprinkler was made by W.D. Allen, Chicago, Illinois, USA, about 1950. The rocket design was inspired by the upcoming space race in the 1950s.

Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in the same boat as you before, Bill. When all else fails, (nothing to buy at the sale), i will pick through the garden shed and make a bucket of scrap brass. Some can be used around the house while others, like lawn sprinklers, have a collector following. One sale netted me a Buckner Rocket Jet sprinkler which sold for an amazing sum and netted me a regular customer who will buy my unusual lawn sprinkler finds without hesitation.

Yours should do quite well because i KNOW there is somebody out there looking for one of those.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1560294
awesome find ! a very sought after sprinkler

Red Rocket
click here for full size image
Courtesy of G. Bowlin
Year: 1950
Manufacturer: W.D.Allen
Chicago, Illinois
Model: Rocket
Type: Pressure Drive Spray
Typical use: Commercial, Residential
This residential sprinkler was made by W.D. Allen, Chicago, Illinois, USA, about 1950. The rocket design was inspired by the upcoming space race in the 1950s.

Good to know, Zom',

Any idea how to know what website that was and what that rocket sprinkler actually sold for since it also had a "best offer"?

Thanks again for the pics,
Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in the same boat as you before, Bill. When all else fails, (nothing to buy at the sale), i will pick through the garden shed and make a bucket of scrap brass. Some can be used around the house while others, like lawn sprinklers, have a collector following. One sale netted me a Buckner Rocket Jet sprinkler which sold for an amazing sum and netted me a regular customer who will buy my unusual lawn sprinkler finds without hesitation.

Thanks, Big.

It's a game of sorts to buy things with the "plan" of letting some of it pay for the keepers..... Last Spring, I found an almost new airless tire contractor 6cu.ft. wheelbarrow for $40. On a long folding table, a sign said "Whole table $15." It was full of #2 burnt/tinned copper kitchen pots and pans and some bright copper platters and keepers. The Copper paid for itself and the wheelbarrow, too..... Down here, #1 copper is only 7-cents above #2 which makes it really not worth the work of cleaning and sorting the two, but still enough to at least double my money.....

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...-paid-wheelbarrow-he-sold-me.html#post5548851

March 5th's price for @ 1 copper is only $2.64/lb. What's copper going for in your neck of the woods?

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome sprinkler and find!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Good to know, Zom',

Any idea how to know what website that was and what that rocket sprinkler actually sold for since it also had a "best offer"?

Thanks again for the pics,
Bill

That's a sale from eBay. I looked it up when I saw that because I also noticed the best offer. They have changed things where I don't know how to find out exactly what was offered so I did a search for similar items listed from highest price to lowest. Based on that I'd say the sale price was fairly close to the asking price and that one's in much worse condition than yours. Unfortunately I forget how close the price was and can't seem to duplicate the search I used before.

Last edited:

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ebay doesnt show best offer, that was up for about 2 months before it sold. 1 sold about a year ago in your condition for 195, dont see any ithers listed in that time. I would probably di the sam they did, list it for 495, auti decline offers below 300, and see what you can get.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one that recently sold on eBay sold for $450.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can use watchcount.com to see how much a best offer item sold for. Just copy and paste the item number into the search bar on the main page and it'll tell you how many people watched it, as well as some other info, including what it's actual selling price was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread