Scrap Switch Mercury

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Get the brand,Contact the supplier.If still made in USA sell to manufacturer.But merc. not that expensive, and u need lots of this poisonous metal to approach thermostat maker or other user of mercury

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give Chem lab a try. Don't have their info handy. They're in California and there's one somewhere near Phoenix. They will buy it. But shipping it is a pain. If you have a prospectors supply / shop close give them a try. Or gather it up weigh it then post it on some of the prospecting sites like Arizona Outback etc. I think A&B Prospecting, Mesa Arizona may buy it from you, I know they sell it. If they don't buy it from you you can see what it's selling for by the lb. Now and get a good idea if it's worthwhile for you to mess with.

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
caution caution mercury is toxic do not drink do not drop in river. mercury is worth only .90 a pound but it takes alot .please just recycle.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
traderoftreasures said:
caution caution mercury is toxic do not drink do not drop in river. mercury is worth only .90 a pound but it takes alot .please just recycle.

Where are you getting it for .90 a pound? That's a heck of a lot cheaper than my last pound!! BTW a pound will fit in a 35mm film container with plenty of room to spare.

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
i know it's not my business but what in heck are you using mercury for. the only apps i am aware of is switches, old t.v. repair. and i don't know the price to buy, i only know the price to sell scrap. usualy get scrap mercury from water departments, filtered out of our drinking water. thanks later

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, If you read up on gold recovery methods, you wouldn't have to ask ;D I've been using it off & on for about 16 years. If you use ALL the safety precautions when retorting it's not as dangerous as the media etc. Would have you think. Notice you need to follow ALL the safety precautions. NO SHORTCUTS!

If you've toodled around the deserts & some of the mountains you've probably come in contact with mercury in very small concentrations. Yes, I have had physicals & no residual mercury (after a couple of fillings were replaced in the 80s ;D

You say you know it's not your business. Well, my way of thinking is ask! The worse I / someone can say is go to the devil. If you don't ask you not learning, if you're not learning........

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
thanks for the refresher i forgot i have seen that in my tom and bob's gold panning kit video. does it work well and how do you get the gold and mercury to seperate. also what about platinum and rhodium? it is coated on top of the ceramic honeycomb. i am a avid catalytic converter buyer. i get lots i sell them whole andi just have them refined by someone else but i understand that you can get more buy refining your own . ive been buying since early 90's and have a web site firstamericancore.com. thanks for your time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions