Scraper info please?

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys for my posts, they're basically just all questions... I'm new. It's not that I don't read about this stuff, but hearing opinions from people who know what they're doing helps me learn. I went back to retrieve that rough tool / preform (whatever) today and found this along the way... My guess is, it's not just a run of the mill flake, but a uniface scraper (and pretty sharp) being that it's clearly worked -- Is that correct? Would this be an end scraper? Just a flake scraper? Any info is appreciated... thanks! I guess there's no way to date something like this without me having points to help date the activity?

scraper.jpg

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You most likely have a big thinning flake taken off a tool or point and it don't look like it had much use if any.

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a flake? Haha, I was so sure it's a scraper. Well, it's the best looking thing I've found so far in my opinion... I'll keep looking! Thanks for your input!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've never seen a thinning flake with that much edge work, which is obvious in the left hand image. The right hand image, although hard to see, does show the "lip" of a traditional scraper. This piece could have been a multipurpose tool....scraper/knife. Most of the edge work on a true scraper is tighter and more uniform while this one appears to have more of a serrated edge.

It is plausible that the edge work and lip are by products of multiple strikes that just didn't respond in kind. So, without having the piece in hand, it's difficult to say if it's edge work or witness marks. The material looks workable (not turd stone) which makes me think the edge work was intentional.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread