Scrapers 101

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I posted a photo of a crystal quartz piece that I thought might be a scraper, and you guys seemed to have confirmed it. This got me thinking about another small piece of Briar Creek chert I found that has been clearly worked, I always chalked it up to being debitage, but upon further inspection the back edge is clean broken and the opposite edge is worked into a fine bevel. Found in South Carolina.
IMG_1027.png IMG_1025.PNG

The artifact is about the size of a thumbnail, and now I'm not sure. It's hard to get a photo of the bevel, but opposite of the broken side it is worked down into a nice edge on both sides. Was this a scraper?

And more importantly, I wanted you guys to chime in with some "Scraper 101" knowledge. What are you looking for when identifying scrapers? I would not have been able to identify the crystal quartz piece as a true scraper if not for you guys and I still don't know what distinguishing features the piece has that makes it a scraper. So what are some of your Scraper Identification 101 tips?

Upvote 0

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi grouseman,
I live in western NC so I find a lot of similar items from NC that are the same as from SC. This link I'm posting is specific to Minnesota, but from what I can tell the techniques used to make the tools could be used anywhere and has taught me a lot about tools in general that I have never saw anywhere else. Pages 69 thru 74 is a section on scrapers.
https://mn.gov/admin/assets/stone-tools-of-minnesota-part1_tcm36-247478.pdf

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The key to identifying a scraper is the angle of the working edge. High angle = scraping edge. Lower angle = cutting edge &/OR core edge.

FWIW

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9D583611-CDD5-4446-85C1-A5B80E56055D.jpeg
0113D125-9453-44A3-A1D7-91D6D0BADCD2.jpeg

I found these over the weekend, and not to hijack, it seems on topic, opinions on these. I think they are scrapers but obviously I have a liberal view of human agency.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking. It’s at least a flake but looks like work/wear on the cutting edge to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread