Scrappys 2015 Top-10 finds... Cobs, Capped, mucho Reales, and mas...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy's 2015 Top-10 finds... Cobs, Capped, mucho Reales, and mas...

Back in, I dunno, maybe March? Ahab said on a group text that we were all going to have a year beyond our wildest dreams. I'll let the other guy in the group speak for himself, but he was pretty much spot on...

I enjoy the Top Ten format, so that's my plan, which should keep this post succinct and fun.

#10 - exquisite 1734 King George 2nd. Dug a whisper at 13" down.... there's little doubt this copper escaped a lot of weathering from 280 years deep in the ground.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

#9 - Seated Sandwich! I guess the combination of a Seated half, shield Nickle, and seated dime make a target sound like crap. Well out popped a solid hunk of coins "glued" together....I literally had to pry them apart!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

#8 - 1876 seated quarter. It may not sound like much to many but I've dug lot of seated coins but never a quarter. It was dragging me down man! Lol. Helping it on the countdown is the condition!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

#7 - A recent find! complete and intact 1770's colonial shoe buckle. If you really think about what luck it takes for a shoe buckle to come off a boot, sit in the ground, and be safely dug 240 years later, its mind boggling. Dug from a British encampment

attachment.php

#6 - 1863 R.T Kelly "Hats" token. Apparently a very rare variety and in excellent condition, this store token is about a close to civil war goodies that I've dug this year.
attachment.php

attachment.php

#5 - Spanish 1/2 reale! I've found more than 1 Spanish coin this year, but the one that sticks out is a 1772 in just great dug condition.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

#4 - 8 reale!! I almost fell over when I dug this beautiful 1833 Mexican 8 reale monster. It rang up like a beer can, and was so shiny in the hole I thought it was the bottom of one. Found it in New Smyrna, FL. (Notice no toning from being in an oxygen deprived environment? Look at the 2nd Pic after being out)

attachment.php

attachment.php

#3- Hammered Spanish Silver & Capped bust dime. Found a barber and was calling it quits when I got a signal walking back to the car...it was a Spanish Cob at 3" that sounded like a zincoln. I'm shaking now and decide to call it quits and again walk to the car when I get a perfect signal - a capped dime, 1834.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

#2 - 4 Washington Inagural buttons. 19mm cuff size. Apparently on the rarer side of GW buttons. Most of you probably saw these but holy Mackerel these blow my mind.So originally I posted them not knowing what they were and right away a fellow t-net member nailed it!

attachment.php

attachment.php

#1 - A hunt with my mom and son, 1903 Barber half. The beauty was my son pulled this from the hole (11" deep mind you) with my mother watching. It was a unique feeling feeling proud of your child as they pull a coin out in awe, while your mother is watching you (obviously impressed!). All from a park that has had hundreds of detectors over it.
attachment.php

Honorable mentions include: two 1837 Hard Times tokens, 1797 draped bust LC, 1787 New Jersey Copper, 3 half cents, 17 Large cents, 19 British coppers, 1773 1-reale, and a 1697 William 3rd

Happy Holidays all and stay safe. May all your digging dreams come true...

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 29

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've had one hell of a year! Awesome finds there buddy!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
If I had a year like that and something happened and I could never dig another hole, it wouldn't matter, I've seen it all!
But that's just me and not you, so you'll just have to get out there again next year and do it all again, only better!
That's a year to be proud of , take a bow!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humbling finds Scrappy! Awesome 2015.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Clap-Clap-Clap!!! Very, very nice....a lot of hunting and some luck that resulted in an excellent group of finds. You will have a wonderful display for years to come.
Outstanding to say the least. Please show us your big pennies someday?
Thanks for sharing. Even this post was a lot of work!
Phil

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So about 10 years ago I had been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 4 years or so. I've since given all that stuff up for really good reasons, but at the time I had some talent and could hang with just about anybody in our large metro area. Then we had a black belt come in who had spent the last 2 years in a gym called Chute Boxe in Brazil, training daily with guys like Wanderlei Silva. And he proceeded to destroy me using only his legs. I'm not kidding. He didn't use his hands. That was my first real awakening of how deep the pool of talent is in anything, and what a difference dedication makes for anyone to meet their full potential.

Steve, I've had a year that exceeded my wildest expectations. But your achievements evoke the same kind of amazement, humility, and deep fire to get better that my above life lesson did. Truly, thanks to you and those handful of others for showing me what is possible in this way cooler, gentler, and more rewarding sport.

Best,
Ken

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a few more digs like that will put you in the class of Vino, Blackbeard, the Clintons and the other great pirates of the Americas. gotta go, need to mop up the puddle of drool on the floor. happy 2016 digs.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome Scrappy. You did really well this year. So many nice finds! Congrats.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell Scrappy, you could turn the list upside down and it would still be incredible. Wonderful year you had, and rumor has it you found nearly 250 total silvers for the year too?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a year Steve! I would say this year has been my worst in a long time.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Damn, dude. Lotsa items that would be a first for me. Grats to ya and thanks for sharing. HH ALL

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You've had one hell of a year! Awesome finds there buddy!
Haha thx. You did pretty darn good yourself!
That's one great year there sir!
It was. Writing this post actuallyhelped me re-live it in a way.
If I had a year like that and something happened and I could never dig another hole, it wouldn't matter, I've seen it all!
But that's just me and not you, so you'll just have to get out there again next year and do it all again, only better!
That's a year to be proud of , take a bow!
I hope to do it all again next year, but it'll be difficult to top 2015 for me. I better eat Lucky Charms all winter.
Humbling finds Scrappy! Awesome 2015.
Thx MetalMag. I like to think of it as we all motivate each other to hunt harder. Crusader and Robfinds posts motivate me on a daily basis.
Clap-Clap-Clap!!! Very, very nice....a lot of hunting and some luck that resulted in an excellent group of finds. You will have a wonderful display for years to come.
Outstanding to say the least. Please show us your big pennies someday?
Thanks for sharing. Even this post was a lot of work!
Phil

Thanks Phil. This post was difficuly - actally it was a real P.I.T.A since Im not good with computers...Anyway, I have a pile of coppers in one of my profile albums. Its not all of them but some.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did have a great year with some exceptional finds. My favs. are the seated sandwich, complete shoe B., and the cob, all still on my wish list.
After seeing it all, it makes my year look very pathetic, I'll have to live on the memory of my 2013 season, and dream of next season. But I'm not throwing in the towel just yet with the nice Dec. weather we're having.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great variety for a top 10! The age of your finds is the same era we hunt here.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So about 10 years ago I had been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 4 years or so. I've since given all that stuff up for really good reasons, but at the time I had some talent and could hang with just about anybody in our large metro area. Then we had a black belt come in who had spent the last 2 years in a gym called Chute Boxe in Brazil, training daily with guys like Wanderlei Silva. And he proceeded to destroy me using only his legs. I'm not kidding. He didn't use his hands. That was my first real awakening of how deep the pool of talent is in anything, and what a difference dedication makes for anyone to meet their full potential.

Steve, I've had a year that exceeded my wildest expectations. But your achievements evoke the same kind of amazement, humility, and deep fire to get better that my above life lesson did. Truly, thanks to you and those handful of others for showing me what is possible in this way cooler, gentler, and more rewarding sport.

Best,
Ken

So those GW buttons left some bad bruising huh? ;) Ironhorse has given me a bloody nose or two in the day, and I'm actually a little worried because finding the 71st button it sort of means it's his turn... and he'll likely make it count!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did have a great year with some exceptional finds. My favs. are the seated sandwich, complete shoe B., and the cob, all still on my wish list.
After seeing it all, it makes my year look very pathetic, I'll have to live on the memory of my 2013 season, and dream of next season. But I'm not throwing in the towel just yet with the nice Dec. weather we're having.

Your last site with those early coins is the exact type of spot to give up a cob. I'm amazed I have as many of those as I do because they sure are hard to come by now.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome year!!! Congrats on all those awesome old coins!

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm speechless! A big Congrats! I wish I could have a year like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread