Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2015, NYC Parks Department allowed metal detecting in 35 parks. The 2016 permit was expanded to include a total of 162 parks. Now many of these parks are what we call "Corner Parks" They consist of a few benches, some shade trees, and no grassy lawns. There are probably 20 or 30 of these "Corner Parks" It makes it look as if the NYC Parks Department is trying to accommodate everyone who uses their parks for different activities. It's a game. I'm not complaining, I'm simply pointing out how silly the bureaucracy can be.
In all fairness, one of the newly added parks consisted of over 100 acres and gave me 26 silver coins earlier this year. I'm trying to search as many of the newer parks on the list in hopes of discovering a new honey hole or two. On Monday, I hit a park called Jerome Park.

It has an interesting history. There was a Racetrack called the Jerome Park Racetrack. It was very popular from 1866 to 1890. New York City acquired the land and decided to build what is now the Jerome Park Reservoir. Demolition of the racetrack, and construction of the reservoir began in the mid 1890's. The land surrounding the perimeter was meant to be used as parkland but it didn't officially become a park until 1940.
I noticed some old trees and decided that I would start my hunt in the shade.

I must have hit the area where the wooden bleachers for the original racetrack once stood. The CTX was picking up a lot of iron signals. I dug up 7 or 8 six inch nails before I finally decided that I would stop investigating these iron signals. Judging from the copper pipe and fittings that I dug,, I probably wasn't too far from the original bathroom facilities. After four hours of digging through fill and small rocks, I had only a few clad coins to show for my efforts. I decided that it was time to scratch this park off the list.

IMG_4585.JPG IMG_4586.JPG

IMG_4589.JPG IMG_4590.JPG

Upvote 13

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are an animal. :skullflag: I like that. :occasion14:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck at the other 131 non-"Corner Parks"!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Best of luck ATW!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to hear..... Thanks for checking it out though. Best of luck ATW Silver and Gold awaits you at the next one!

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd keep hitting Jerome, againstthewind. Sure there's nails. I bet they keep other md'ers away.

I may go back to Jerome Park,, but let me try to find another honey hole in one of the new parks before one of the other NYC sharpies finds it first. lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well u never know until you try.

I'd hit it again sometime JIC.
Davers

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If nothing else, you can put that one on the back burner & move on as you say. You can always go back whenever you want to.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww! That's too bad! A shame that this park is "hunted out". ;) LOL

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your head up, and your coil down!!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Finds, especially with the competition and trash layers of NYC parks.

I was thinking of throwing a NYNJAS dig together this fall. Probably in NJ but it would be great to meet you. You're a tough sob to dig those parks - I know from experience!

Cheers brother

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Finds, especially with the competition and trash layers of NYC parks.

I was thinking of throwing a NYNJAS dig together this fall. Probably in NJ but it would be great to meet you. You're a tough sob to dig those parks - I know from experience!

Cheers brother

Just let me know,, as of today,, my retirement papers are in my pocket. Next Thursday, 7-21-16, is my last day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions