Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Scrathed one off the "Want List" :)

Hello all,,,
I haven't been posting much. Been kinda busy again, so here's a few of the highlights for this month so far...

I can scratch another item off my want list, although now that I have one,,, I want another one.... ;D It's one of the large "Tootsie Toys". I found it in a local park at a depth of about 9"-10" down. Like me,,, the body is in great shape, but the wheels, that turn, are just a little bit worn. ::) It measure right at 3-9/16" in length, and the body, not including the tires, is about an 1" wide.
Racecar.jpg

I never knew there were bushings/spacers between the body covering the axles. That's some good old time'y construction to help keep it from being crushed...
Racecar_Bottom.jpg

Also found this old brass/copper? buckle,,, Not sure what it was used for, but it seems to me, the prettiest part of it gets covered up by the thin cover on the front. It measures: 2-13/16" H x 1-5/8" W.
Copper10_07.jpg

Only silver for the month was this bent ring with the letter "T" on the top. It was found in another local park at a depth of only 4" down. It's marked, "925"...
Silver_T.jpg

It's not been a great month, like October was for me, but it hasn't been all that bad either. I've been able to get out about six times and have at least found a few wheats on every hunt. I've found a total of (13) wheats so far and about $5-$6 in clad for the month.

Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!,
& have a great day, Leon...

Ooops, P.S.> If someone could give me an approx. date on the "Tootsie Toy" I would really appreciate it...

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Scrathed one off the "Want List" :)

Here's a start:

"In 1906 Samuel Dowst's Company made the First Die-cast Vehicle and named it after his daughter "Tootsie". The Last of the ALL Metal Toy Car ended in 1969 when they added the contents of Plastic to the Production."
Don.......

Source:
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/yearsafter/item/11995

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Leon

Those Tootsies are cool

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Here's some more history:

Tootsietoy, America's oldest toy company and a division of Strombecker Corp. began in 1876 and is still in business. American's oldest toy company registered the name Tootsietoy, adopted from founder Charles O. Dowst's granddaughter Tootsie, in 1924. Dowst went on to manufacture the trinkets we found in Cracker Jack boxes. Next came flat iron charms as premiums for the Flat Iron Laundry Company. These items later became famous markers, along with other charms, for the Parker Brothers game Monopoly.
Don.....

Source: http://www.dinosaurcollector.150m.com/TootsieToy.htm

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, love the toy :)

HH
-GC

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Leon,
You have inspired me to add the Tootsie Toy car to my goals list for next year. I've never found one and now I want one for my display case.

Congratulations on the digs. That ring looks preety heavy.
NJ

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Tried looking it up Leon but came up with one with a square front end and metal wheel's......Nice find though.Ring look's fat!!!!Happy Thanksgiving and HH!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool Leon. Its funny ,every time I scratch something off the want list I seem to add more to my list. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread