Screen Diggin

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Hello,

Went screenin for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Had a blast. I took my 13 yr old nephew with me to help me out. This is what we found. Screenin might be better than MDing?

Santa Fe dining car plate
New Mexico 1 cent tax token
Rexall's 1 cent sale/keep me and you'll never go broke
Assortment of marbles
Chief and Covered wagon plastic toys?
Lots of gears and buttons
Two buckles
Bottles

Thanks for looking,

Fish

Attachments

• 8-7-12 013.JPG
    8-7-12 013.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 8-7-12 014.JPG
    8-7-12 014.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 1

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenin'? Is that what it sounds like? Sifting through dirt looking for interesting Items? I need to do that with my neighbors yard. So much junk, burn piles and such. Makes Md'in hard on his property. But also, lots of buried surprises. I need to find something to sift a large about of dirt. What are you using? Oh, love that late. Great find.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Santa Fe piece is really sweet! How about some pics of the rest? And where did you dig that you were using a screen? Nothing too specific if you want, but what kind of area?

OP
OP
Fishstank

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
Yes I had a guy from my MD club help me build a screen out of wood and 1" screen you get from home depot. I was hunting near Flagstaff in an old lumber camp that predates 1880. Most of the stuff found was prob from early 1940's. I tried to upload the other pics last night. But I took them from my Iphone and seems the pics are too large. Any idea on how to make them smaller?

Fish

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds there Fishtank. If you want to clean that dish up, try soaking in white vinegar, some people use mercuric acid but I don't recommend this its too dangerous. If the stains don't come out with the vinegar then try a rust remover (I use a gel type)or Metal Prep from your local Auto Parts supplier.
Love the dish.
ZDD

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screening is a great way to find treasure, especially in a really trashy place or in an old dump. Some of my best finds have been from screening old dumps. In one day I found 20+ tokens screening. 100_1853.JPG Here is a few good ones I found screening. Hope you dont mind me posting these on your thread...

Last edited:

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds! I found a trash pit along a foundation wall. Got frustrated with my probe vibrating crazy because I thought it had to be too trashy...Nice job!

OP
OP
Fishstank

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
Those are some great finds there Fishtank. If you want to clean that dish up, try soaking in white vinegar, some people use mercuric acid but I don't recommend this its too dangerous. If the stains don't come out with the vinegar then try a rust remover (I use a gel type)or Metal Prep from your local Auto Parts supplier.
Love the dish.
ZDD

I don't mind. Well I got 2 tokens. Going back there this weekend for a club hunt trip.

aztreasures.org/

any interested in az wants to check out our club

Last edited:

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's some nice goods you got there, some of the guys that I hunt with are starting to get in to this. Looks like they are on to something.
Is that part of a clock I see there in the box ?

OP
OP
Fishstank

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
That's some nice goods you got there, some of the guys that I hunt with are starting to get in to this. Looks like they are on to something.
Is that part of a clock I see there in the box ?

Yes. Lots of clock pieces. I suppose since they are just pieces that's why they went into the dump. We hit the same dump yesterday and only scored a few marbles. The dump is harder to sift now because I started in the middle instead of picking a corner and moving on it north to south or east to west. So you end up resifting the same stuff.

:laughing7:

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fish, I'd sure like to see a photo of your screen setup.

Yes I had a guy from my MD club help me build a screen out of wood and 1" screen you get from home depot. I was hunting near Flagstaff in an old lumber camp that predates 1880. Most of the stuff found was prob from early 1940's. I tried to upload the other pics last night. But I took them from my Iphone and seems the pics are too large. Any idea on how to make them smaller?

Fish

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread