ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
VERY good idea to start slow. I had a very good detecting friend that was wading and he drowned.

Wixom man drowns at Caseville beach | Local News | michigansthumb.com

We were all supposed to go to that beach the next day. He decided to go ahead and three of us were in another lake. I went to the car for something and noticed a missed call from another friend. I called back and got the news. I walked back to the lake and our other friends said I was absolutely white and what was wrong. I told them. We were all in disbelief. To this day, nobody knows what happened or what went wrong.

I know of two other waders that also drowned. One was in the club I was a member of at the time and the other I heard about from my website. NO harm in taking it slow. The water is not your friend and even though I am comfortable and believe I can handle myself, you never know. However, if it does kill me, I will die doing what I love and will have no regrets.

All kinds of hazards out there. Be safe, be alert and be cautious. Yes it is rewarding and profitable. But yes it can kill.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When wading I wear a self inflating PFD. I once stepped off a steep dropoff of silt and the PFD inflated before I could stroke back to where I could put my feet down. I gave up wearing weight belts and use a suspender system. Pull the two rings an the weight pockets drop away. But I love hookah. Airline.JPG This is Airline but mine is a Keene.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
When wading I wear a self inflating PFD. I once stepped off a steep dropoff of silt and the PFD inflated before I could stroke back to where I could put my feet down. I gave up wearing weight belts and use a suspender system. Pull the two rings an the weight pockets drop away. But I love hookah. View attachment 1282142 This is Airline but mine is a Keene.

Sandman, is yours gas or electric? I had a gas Brownie. I used it ONCE. Way too noisy for me. I know for sure I would have had the police called on me more if that thing was floating out there! I know one day I might not be able to haul my tanks in and out of the boat. When that day comes, I know for sure I will buy an electric one and have it mounted in the boat. I also know that will end some of my diving adventures, as some lakes there is no way to get a boat into.

However, I have been looking at a trailer and an electric golf cart so I could take my gear to the waters edge. I had planned to call Lansing to see if there is any laws about a golf cart in state parks. I might have an electric mounted in my boats and one on a float like yours with a couple of golf cart batteries.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garden buggy is all ya need.
ones with bigger tires.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is mounted on custom starboard with 2 inch rubber feet...
Two stainless handles... hinges... and latch lock.
Can dismount from boat and set on buggy...
Then cart wherever... no problem... along with all hose and gear with room...
Cart to any waters edge with ease.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Garden buggy is all ya need.
ones with bigger tires.

Problem is no way to lock it up, or maybe a chain lock on the tires? A lot of my places are near Detroit and little Detroit. (Pontiac) I would come up to it missing. I did have that thought though.

I don't have a partner. My wife died in 2006. So I have nobody to help watch things. Since I am considered handicapped, a golf cart seems to be the best idea. Thank you for your suggestion though.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use simple cable with a lock.
Or a chain.

Run through tire and buggy then hookah in some way.

Mine locks when on boat... but now that I think about it would be free for the taking while I am under ...
And compressor is on the buggy unattended...
BUT...
I doubt that they would get far... BEINGS I am connected TO IT. heh

Last edited:

TIME TRAVELER

Greenie
Jan 27, 2006
Cape Coral Fl 33990
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000,Garrett At PRO, Whites Surf Master PI, WHITES DFX, MINELAB EXCALIBER 2
Primary Interest:
Hey QMaze where u at. Time Traveler Cape Coral Fl. I try to dive all I can , mostly shallow. 10-12 ft at most. Metal detecting

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Snuba does not require a tank, it's the same as hookah diving with a surface air supply.

Now you really lost me. Scuba diving you wear the tank, hookah diving, you have a gas or battery powered compressor. SNUBA diving, from everything I have ever read is a floating tank. So if it doesn't require a tank, HOW do you get air? Please enlighten me.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah sorry I meant no tank on your back and is pretty much like a hookah rig.

Whew! I thought I was going to see some garden hose sucking. Glad that mystery was solved.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dive with a heavy duty diving knife as well as wire cutters which are strong enough to cut thru alerion cable and sharp enough to cut monofilament line as well below my left shoulder (cross draw) and a divers knife on my right leg. In addition to cutting the knife is used for digging, prying and when entangled in a fishermans net banging on my air tank for assistance so I do not have to damage the net by cutting it.

If the net is legal, I let it be - if not I report it or destroy it removing the pieces depending on the situation
and where I am

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Betta to end up with and extra diver, on the return trip back, than one less.
Mo Betta to do a roll call, than a head count, to be sure that their boat returns with the same people they took out.
Any charter boat captain, should have license revoked, for failure to return with those he or she is responsible for. No matta if divers were certified or not!

That's a good starting point for sure.
I was on a "head boat" off Riviera Beach, FL and we arrived at the dock with +1 diver more than we left with.
The diver somehow got separated from his own group.

A lot of those dives are drift dives (as opposed to anchor dives), but still.... pretty inexcusable, even for novice divers.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Froggy what you have described about certification really bothers me (understated for family).
It is my strong opinion, that certification should depend upon one' s proven knowledge and abilities based on testing rather than on what course one has taken or what organization the course was taken from. The certification should come from a higher level - such as a government agency. The certified should definitely not benefit from and cours taken, sale or rental of equipment: diving gear, charter services, providing of air/nitrox etc.

I am a self taught diver, having spent thousand of hours in the water: Open water lake and ocean diving, certified cave diver, body recovery, zero visibility diving, active member of two skin diving clubs and president of other, yet I can not even buy to dive.
What we have is favoritism, not Certification.

organization did the training. Neither the trainer nor anyone involved in the certification process should recieve any compensation other than what they are entitled to for their level of experience and efforts.
and who you have taken it from.

Scuba detection in shallow water is not so difficult, but passing at least a level of certification will help you to understand the buoyancy and the material technical aspects.

For Italy, prefer the CMAS level 1, last choice will be the very basic PADI Open Water. Try to have at least 15/20 dives beforescuba detect alone.

Keep in mind, scuba detection from the beach/coast is physical, everythings heavy. To detect in less then 5m (17ft) you will have to carry a lot of extra weight. If you use a 7mm wetsuite, it'll be around 14 to 16% of your weight to be confortable.

When you have have finished and you want to get up after 3 to 4 hours of underwater detection, you will feel how russian astronaut can suddenly realized how HEAVY they are :laughing7:

For the little story, my detecting mate AQUAMAN didn't had any land detecting experience prior to scuba detection. We had the opportunity to use our detectors on land almost a year after he started to scuba detect... he was supprised how easy it was...and most important how easy it was to pack everything and go home.

Last thing... prior to dive, take a few minutes to have a look to the sand condition in apnea. Once you've put your tank and with all the weight you will carry, you are not going to move so much or take your car for another spot.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply put, you will end up scuba diving by your self, being an assistant or having an assistant if you metal detect underwater

This is because metal detectors will interfere with each other, Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) if within approximately
ten feet of each other or thru induced currents when the search coil of one detector is close to the search coil of the other inductor.

The above statement is true for VLF detectors, Multifrequency Broad band detectors and Pulse Induction detectors including pin pointers that use PI technology. However, you can use a pin pointer which uses a variant nail finding technology in a studs such as the Garrett Carrot, Garret Pro Pinpointer.

A circular search pattern works best for the detectorist, with one or two assistants visually looking for found targets , circling in the opposite
direction.

When spear fishing or treasure hunting in Florida, I always liked to have an armed (rifle) assistant on the boat that I was diving from
there indicents of irritated fishermen cutting anchor rope (s) while divers were underwater - Tis often a long swim to shore, if you make it,
, and there are real pirates out there, tip off is spotter planes circling.

I've been thinking of learning how to scuba dive just to detect is in shallow water, does anyone here scuba dive in shallow water by themselves. I mentioned this to a coworker and he said you can't scuba dive on by yourself.

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I've been thinking of learning how to scuba dive just to detect is in shallow water, does anyone here scuba dive in shallow water by themselves. I mentioned this to a coworker and he said you can't scuba dive on by yourself.

Also, there is absolutely NO law that I know of in any state that says you cannot dive alone. However, I was refused entry to dive in California by lifeguards because I was alone. I just went to a different beach where none were present. It is a safety saying. Never dive alone. I do know now you can take a solo dive class and be certified.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
VERY good idea to start slow. I had a very good detecting friend that was wading and he drowned.

Wixom man drowns at Caseville beach | Local News | michigansthumb.com

We were all supposed to go to that beach the next day. He decided to go ahead and three of us were in another lake. I went to the car for something and noticed a missed call from another friend. I called back and got the news. I walked back to the lake and our other friends said I was absolutely white and what was wrong. I told them. We were all in disbelief. To this day, nobody knows what happened or what went wrong.

I know of two other waders that also drowned. One was in the club I was a member of at the time and the other I heard about from my website. NO harm in taking it slow. The water is not your friend and even though I am comfortable and believe I can handle myself, you never know. However, if it does kill me, I will die doing what I love and will have no regrets.

All kinds of hazards out there. Be safe, be alert and be cautious. Yes it is rewarding and profitable. But yes it can kill.

wth bro?? ur bud died in 3 and half to four foot of water????? dang RIP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions