Scuba gear questions

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys I am getting my cert this spring, too late for me this fall. I have started buying some equipment from my LDS. I have a question though on BCD's. I was told by another scuba detectorist that if he were starting over he would by a harness, backplate, and wing. What's your opinion?

I have looked at one made by DeepSea Supply. I called him and got his recommendation for a single tank rig using 80 cf alum. tanks, Aqualung SolaFX 7-8mm suit for colder water times. My height is 5'8" weighing in at a mere 190 (185 on a good week). This diving is all freshwater shallow diving. Tobin recommended a medium backplate, 30 lb LCD tank wing, harness, and backplate weights at 8.1 lbs for his medium backplate. Total damage about $550. Is this too much? Is this decent quality equipment? Overkill?

Any recommendations or opinions are welcome.

Thanks in adavance!

Upvote 0

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well im a certified diver, i just use all old used junk, im never in over 20 foot, and usually only like 5 to 12 foot. I would get a good regulator for comfort and safety, skimp on the rest. in the shallows you really dont even need that good of mask, i use my kids walmart mask sometimes if I cant see mine layin around, its not even tempered, its plastic. Ima cheap skate on dive gear for sure though so my opinion probly dont matter haha. my suit is 7 or 9 mil i think, and its great, its a one piece, but im 6'3 220 its xxl and fits like a glove, i can barely get it on and off, super tight and nice once its on though. I think it would be nice to have a 3 mil too, so i wouldnt have to wear so much weight, 38 lbs cuz theres so much neoprene in the suit. if i dive with no suit i wear 6 to 8 lbs, but freeze and shiver. I did dive and detect quite a few lakes in wisc this summer, didnt have that great of luck. and remember your gonna have zero vis down even a few inches down, so stay calm and safe, ive been diving since the 80s and still dont like the cold purest black murky dark of our lakes. There was just a rescue diver this summer in sioux falls, out on a training day with 11 other rescue divers plus support staff, he drown that day, he had been diving 22 years, dont underestimate the danger.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get in touch with New England Divers, who have a store in Mas and also sell by catalog.
Tell them what you will be doing, I am sure they will help. They are very experienced having personally met their divers who dove on the Andrea Dorea and attempted rescue of personnel at failed texas towers (offshore radar).

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a dive shop about 2 hours from home today and left more confused than before I went there. What regs. and bdc's are you guys using while scuba diving?

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the advise so far has been right on the money. Here are my two cents:

I have never been in a detector shop that had anybody that understood metal detecting or its requirements. They will tell you not to dive solo. Some are downright nasty with the opinion that scuba is a zero impact activity that should not take anything or leave anything behind. Funny thing, is on a night dive in Mexico I spotted an expensive spare-air and one of these same fellows raced me to the bottom to retrieve it (for himself). Anyway, point is the shops will be of limited help at best. In my experience, they push new equipment that they have in stock or their used rental equipment, on everybody who walks through the doors.

Many people who buy their own equipment, stop diving within a year or two, hang onto their stuff for a few more years and then sell (especially prior to a move). If you can find somebody like this who is about your size, you will both be able to do each other a favor. Thing to worry about is old wet suits eventually fall apart from sun exposure, tanks will need to be inspected prior to getting air fills and BCs & Regs will need inspection/maintenance once in a while. I don't worry much about the BC, but the Reg needs to be rebuilt (they say annually which is nuts, but certainly once in a while). With a wet suit, try to get on you can get on and off by yourself. Nothing is worse than needing help with the zipper in the back of a one piece. I have multiple wet suits and one is really difficult when I am alone.

You cannot go wrong buying quality equipment, but also don't need "fancy-smancy". I would suggest keeping to stuff that is no older than 10 years and 5 and younger is better. Since you are not certified yet, you don't need to rush into this and can wait for a really good deal. If buying used from somebody, make sure to get all of their dive weights. They are worthless to them and you cannot have too many. In fact, if you don't buy their stuff, still try to get a deal on their weights.

Luck.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Buy a good regulator. Rent the tank and BCD until you know exactly what you want.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If your pocket book can swing it, I highly recommend the Poseidon Cyklon regulator. Its the easiest breathing regulator I have ever used. It is also the choice of the U.S. Navy SEALS.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only advice I can give that wasn't already given is to get your suit from a dive shop where you can try them on. Not all manufactures size them the same. I use US Divers BC with Spare air plus a 19 cu. Pony tank with its own regulator. I also used this with Hookah deeper than 30 foot. Anti fogging for the mask, spit works, but Gorilla Snot Defog works great.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Personally I wouldn't go with a wing style setup. Once you get some time underwater you can be in any position without problem. Why limit yourself. Also if you get one with integrated weights you can have some of the weight higher then your waist which allows you to hover and slowly move with you legs slight higher then your head and chest which is a great position being close to the bottom. Don't forget to invest in good fins.

Rescue diver
PADI NAUI and SSI certified.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the truth.... 99.99% of people start out with jacket BCs. Some later discover BP/W's. Of the people who move into a BP/W, 99% love it and never go back to a jacket BC.

Tobin is a great guy will never steer you wrong with equipment suggestions. His gear is top notch, but there are lots of other great brands available too.

Personally I would recommend that you hold off buying anything until after you get your certification.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a dive shop about 2 hours from home today and left more confused than before I went there. What regs. and bdc's are you guys using while scuba diving?

My personal gear setup is a 3 mil wetsuit for warm waters and a DUI drysuit for cold water.
I use a SS backplate, single piece webbing with an Oxycheq 30# "Mach V" wing.
I have a wide assortment of regs and all are good.
Whichever fins you buy make sure you get a set of Spring-straps for them (if they don't come with them). Best piece of scuba kit EVER.
Do not buy a mask without trying it out first. Lots of different shapes and if it doesn't fit your face well you will be constantly clearing leaks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions