fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the Choctaws were removed to I.T., some were settled in the region just south of the AR river.
They were paid their allotments in 'Gold coin', it is said a keg of Gold was delivered by the Government, & placed on the front porch of their meeting place, & it would set there all night, & never be bothered.
Their name for a 'piece of money' was Iskuli, so the place was named (Skullyville), or money town.
There isn't much left of the town now, only the Choctaw cemetary.
Each year there is a 'procession' to remember the 'Trail of Tears'.

Fossis...............

Attachments

• Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 370

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Iskuli (money town)

Nice pictures Noss. You do get around. I've been reading about the frontier and indian wars in Ohio. We definately did npt do right by them.

Good hunting and keep the pics coming!
SKD

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Iskuli (money town)

SoreKneeDayton said:
Nice pictures Noss. You do get around. I've been reading about the frontier and indian wars in Ohio. We definately did npt do right by them.

Good hunting and keep the pics coming!
SKD

Don't confuse me with 'Hoss', (I'me the old guy). ;D

Thanks, Sore knee.

Fossis..............

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Very interesting, and the pictures are great, maybe I will get to see that area when I am due to make a trip through there the first week of Apr. I wanted to go to the Eagle Town Area so I will probably be going through Skullyville with my rambling. Thats beautiful unspoiled country there, or was 20 years ago. Thanks for the pictures.Gnewt

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gnewt said:
Very interesting, and the pictures are great, maybe I will get to see that area when I am due to make a trip through there the first week of Apr. I wanted to go to the Eagle Town Area so I will probably be going through Skullyville with my rambling. Thats beautiful unspoiled country there, or was 20 years ago. Thanks for the pictures.Gnewt

Thanks gnewt, send me a PM, when you come through, maybe I can show you a few spots on your trip.

Fossis................

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
gnewt said:

Thanks gnewt, send me a PM, when you come through, maybe I can show you a few spots on your trip.

Fossis................

Sorry Fossis (what does that mean anyway) I was jumping around and was look a HossNV pic when I was posting to you. At 61, well....

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Ahhhh the days of trust :). Fossis Your posts make me want to visit Oklahoma, what beautiful country full of history. I am adding OK to my wish list.

By the way your post about the trail of tears was absolutely wonderful, between yours and Gypsy's story I had tears in my eyes. Sorry it started to get out of hand, that's why I thought I'd post somewhere else to let you know how much I appreciated the heart felt post. THANKS!

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossis,
As usual another fascinating and entertaining post....I really enjoyed our conversation the other day..... When I get back from this deployment I am gonna come a knocking on your door...Take care...Steve

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoreKneeDayton said:
fossis said:
gnewt said:

Fossis................

Sorry Fossis (what does that mean anyway) I was jumping around and was look a HossNV pic when I was posting to you. At 61, well....

I understand (all too well), i'me 64, the name 'Fossil hunter' was already taken, so I settled for 'Fossis'. ;D.
I do a lot of 'Fossil hunting' in this area, check out some of the post's in 'Fossils'.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Ahhhh the days of trust :). Fossis Your posts make me want to visit Oklahoma, what beautiful country full of history. I am adding OK to my wish list.

By the way your post about the trail of tears was absolutely wonderful, between yours and Gypsy's story I had tears in my eyes. Sorry it started to get out of hand, that's why I thought I'd post somewhere else to let you know how much I appreciated the heart felt post. THANKS!

You're quite welcome Country Girl.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevesno said:
Fossis,
As usual another fascinating and entertaining post....I really enjoyed our conversation the other day..... When I get back from this deployment I am gonna come a knocking on your door...Take care...Steve

Thanks Steve, it was good talking with you also, You folks (stay safe), & we'll all be thinking, & praying for you on your deployment.
See you then.

Fossis..............

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]

I understand (all too well), i'me 64, the name 'Fossil hunter' was already taken, so I settled for 'Fossis'. ;D.
I do a lot of 'Fossil hunting' in this area, check out some of the post's in 'Fossils'.

Fossis...............
[/quote]

I'll bet oldfossil was avalable. lol

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great post Fossis! I have done a lot of reading on Skullyville and there is just so much history there...I would love to come explore this place....

Just a little southwest of Skullyville is Charby Prairie, one of great Choctaw ball grounds. George Catlin tells of attending a great game here in 1834 when some three thousand Indians were present. The games were generally played between districts, and there was much rivalry, many people, especially the women, betting everything they had on the outcome of the game. The players, said Catlin, were naked except for the breech-clout, with a sort of tail or appendage of horsehair as a decoration. The game lasted from nine o'clock in the morning until almost night, the winning party being the first to secure one hundred goals. It was a scene of wild confusion with many a bloody shin and broken nose. Indian ball was not a lady's game.
The old cemetery of Skullyville has all the interest usually attached to these ancient places. Untold hundreds if not thousands of people lie here in unmarked graves, while the engraved stones date back into the eighteen thirties. It is a peaceful spot; from one point in it the Arkansas River can be seen, while numerous trees cast their shade over the last resting place of the dead. Two chiefs of the Choctaw Nation, Colonel Tandy Walker and Edmund McCurtain, rest here. Perhaps the most elaborate monument in the cemetery marks the grave of Edmund McCurtain. Among other sentiments in the long epitaph inscribed on the stone are these: "He was kind and generous as the brave only be. When the years have come and gone and the Choctaws be few, this stone shall mark the place of one of the purest, bravest and most patriotic sons of that nation."

The decline of Skullyville was rapid after the Civil War. One by one stores and residences were burned or otherwise destroyed never to be rebuilt. As usual with the old towns, the railroads passed it by, and Spiro a mile to the west, came to be the place of importance. Today, in addition to the Agency building, perhaps a half dozen others still stand within the bounds of Skullyville. The descendants of its first families are scattered far and wide. But as one who lived there years ago well said: "Let Old Skullyville be remembered long as the principal town of the Choctaw Nation before the coming of the railroads, for here were some of the flower of the tribe; a set of people who always stood for honesty, education and the general welfare, whose men were always noted for their hospitality and generosity, the women for their charity and purity of character."

Most of the site of Skullyville was underlaid with sand and gravel. During the past few years untold tons of the very dirt upon which those early people trod have been scattered over the roads from the Winding Stair to the Arkansas border—a fitting reminder of the way in which the original settlers scattered their own culture and refinement throughout their tribe and section
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/chronicles/v016/v016p234.html

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOSSNV said:
Good again ! Fossis . You never let me down . Thank you , twice ( I'm probably older than you think ) . Hoss

Thanks Hoss

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoreKneeDayton said:

Fossis...............
[/quote]

::)

Fossis..............

I'll bet oldfossil was avalable. lol
[/quote]

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Gypsy, I tried to get into the cemetary to take pic's, but it was 'chained shut'.
The 'Historical marker' mentioned that Catlin had visited here.

Fossis...............

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Great pics Fossis! And just as I was getting ready to do a search on Scullyville to learn more about it, there sat the reply of the Rectoress of Research with a comprehensive accounting of the history!

Thanks to both of you!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wesfrye53 said:
Great pics Fossis! And just as I was getting ready to do a search on Scullyville to learn more about it, there sat the reply of the Rectoress of Research with a comprehensive accounting of the history!

Thanks to both of you!

I wouldn't say (rectoress of research ) too fast Wes. ;D

You're welcome
Fossis...........

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Have been there quite a few times, but that was many years ago. There are some really old graves and monuments in the cemetery. Is the old brick schoolhouse still standing? The last time I was there, the frame of an old piano was lying out on the schoolyard.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Have been there quite a few times, but that was many years ago. There are some really old graves and monuments in the cemetery. Is the old brick schoolhouse still standing? The last time I was there, the frame of an old piano was lying out on the schoolyard.

I didn't see anything left of the school house, but i didn't go any farther than the 'cemetary', I wanted to photograph the 'older graves', but I didn't want to climb the fence.(padlocked) :-\

Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread