SE Ohio Arrowheads

indy46

Greenie
Dec 31, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being very new to the forum and metal detecting, I was wondering if anyone could give me information about how to find arrowheads. I am located in SW Ohio and I know that there were Shawnee and Miami tribes by me. How would I go about looking for arrowheads and what would I need to do so? Thanks! Nunzio

Last edited:
Upvote 0

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
the answer to that could be a mile long on here Nunzio... There is a lot of on line info. IMO the best way to learn is find somebody that does it and team up for a bit. In your area I'm sure you know someone that does it. Most hunters don't show very many people their spots. Its a trust and respect thing. Looking forward to seeing your finds!!
A water source is probably the most important for bigger sites usually up out of the flood zone. Natural shelter areas are good too.
Welcome to the site!!!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Holmes County, Oh.

You're in a good area, most finds come from plowed fields. Be sure and get permission first, after a rain is best, but not when it's muddy or planted. Respect the farmer's field, or you will be done hunting there.

Any elevated flat spot along a stream is worth a look, flat ground near a good spring, ridge top springs, over hanging rock shelters....even building sites in town. Often modern towns were built where ancient villages stood, some of my best finds have been in construction sites.

Mainly just get out there and look, when you start seeing flakes of flint, you are in the right area.

Good Luck, post some pics.

OP
OP
indy46

indy46

Greenie
Dec 31, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down in Butler. There are some fields I know I could search but no idea when I'll have the time. Thanks to everyone ^

drewa1977

Greenie
Sep 19, 2013
I am also new to this. I have found many artifacts while working construction in college. I have a small collection, but nothing comparable to most members on this site. Most of what I have found was doing dirt work in Scioto Co., where I like the Grim Reaper live.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also new to this. I have found many artifacts while working construction in college. I have a small collection, but nothing comparable to most members on this site. Most of what I have found was doing dirt work in Scioto Co., where I like the Grim Reaper live.

Lets see them and welcome to the site. Start a new thread of your own and tell about yourself. We like seeing all artifacts

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down in Butler. There are some fields I know I could search but no idea when I'll have the time. Thanks to everyone ^

Butler county is actually in southwest Ohio, not southeast Ohio. I do know that your area is a good area to find Slate pieces. Contact trevvma on here. He is from that area and may hook you up.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southeast is up the river from me and Grim. Should be some artifacts up there, but not a lot of people search that area on this forum. However search any bare land close to streams and rivers. Look for flint pieces. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread