46.1 KB · Views: 798

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Hey John I collect the seaglass too. I hear the reds and oranges are worth alot of money.

OP
OP
R

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
Hey Deb!!

Congrats on the ring!!!! I haven't been doing any detecting for awhile but did a fair amt. of bottle digging last spring in Chester.

HH,

root

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
I lived almost directly on the beach for eleven years and never even heard of sea glass until I moved back home to Birmingham. The beaches of Gulf Shores, Alabama are made of smooth, white sand - not the best place to look for it.

People have collected sea glass for a long time, but the popularity of it is growing. Some people plan their vacations around hunting it.

Here is an an interview I did with an expert sea glass hunter and collector.

http://www.gulf-shores-travel-guide.com/sea-glass.html

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
hey root....i collect sea glass for my niece who makes jewelry out of it. i also collect at the jersey shore. mostly Avalon and Stone Harbor....whereabouts are you searching?
i never found a black piece before, thats awesome. i have found blues , amber(yellow), and deep reds as well as the common browns, greens and clears.

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
I don't get very much sea in my neck of the woods, so I made some of my own. I know that sea glass purists cringe when us landlocked folks do this, but I promise not to pass it off as genuine... :wink:

Mr R

Attachments

• Tumbler 004.jpg
    Tumbler 004.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 522
  • Tumbler 011.jpg
    Tumbler 011.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 506
OP
OP
R

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
mistergee said:
hey root....i collect sea glass for my niece who makes jewelry out of it. i also collect at the jersey shore. mostly Avalon and Stone Harbor....whereabouts are you searching?
i never found a black piece before, thats awesome. i have found blues , amber(yellow), and deep reds as well as the common browns, greens and clears.

Hey Mister Gee.....

What a coinkidink. All these pieces were found between 99th and and 88th in Stone Harbor.

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I collect some sea glass and even glass not from the water. (cobalt blue, red, amber, etc..) Found a nice glass stopper that looks like it has been in the water for many years. Just wanted to share :)

Attachments

• P1000895.JPG
    P1000895.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 400
  • P1000898.JPG
    P1000898.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 388

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
What a coinkidink. All these pieces were found between 99th and and 88th in Stone Harbor.
usually i start at 58th and head north to the boardwalk. the next day i'll head south to the hotels to around 80th. didn't find much this year, but did see several people doing the same thing after a storm this spring. never saw anyone else looking before. i think the competition plus the fact they don't allow bottles on the beaches anymore has contributed to lack of finds. that plus the beach cleaning everyday during the summer buries alot. wish i woulda kept all the glass that was lying around when i was a kid in the 70's.

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
It's true that reds and oranges and yellows are rare and highly prized. Grade A (jewelry grade) with no sharp edges are worth more than those with edges. A single piece of orange (rarest) could sell for a few hundred. If I can sort out my several pounds, I'll try to post some pics of what I've collected over the years.

This is a serious hobby replete with an organization and annual festival. Check out this site:
http://www.seaglassassociation.org/

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i would posts pics of what i have found but i gave all of it to my niece who makes jewelry.
thanks for the link, i'll pass it on to her. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread