Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I am in need of some information on this machine.Everyone tells me to get the Excal but the price on the seahunter is much better and reviews are almost as good. Can some one with some surf time with the seahunter tell me what they think? Thanks in advance

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a while since I used a Sea Hunter but the main reason for using a PI is the exceptional depth you get on anything metal. What I don't like about it is once small iron starts to rust it makes the Sea Hunter respond like it was a car hood. You are stuck digging deep holes with the surf knocking you around if your out that deep and only find small nails or tacks. What is will do is go deep for these targets which is what you need when the sand is sifting over all targets burying them deeper.

The Excal with a WOT coil is as deep but with iron discrimination what what is better it will respond favorable to a gold ring with a large nail throught the middle. No other detector will do that. They will disc out the nail for sure but the ring will be masked out. You have to see this done in the dealer's showroom.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman ,big thanks . That's the kind of details I have been looking for !! Right know it seems to be the excal if I can find a good deal on one or one of the CZs which I am hearing good things about but usually cost as much as an excal ..I don't mind digging a few nails but not every nail. I was pleasantly surprised with the discrimination on the 1280X .It worked very well.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the 1280 as a basic water detector that works well in my neck of the woods. It had problems at the east coast in the waves as did about everything else I tried but PI's. Some of the early 1280's with the 8" coil were very hot meaning they seemed to have to much sensitivity. The cut off from Iron to foil seemed to be sharper than most detectors and I don't know if that was a good thing or not, but I enjoyed it. The sound quality seemed different from a nickle to a gold ring too, but this might just be fond memories talking. :thumbsup:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Sea Hunter II last year. This summer I finally got a chance to put it to use. I can't believe the depth that I get out of it. The other day I recovered a ring that was down 16 inches. It started out as a faint noise and got a little bit louder as I dug down further. I've recovered a few more items down that deep.

It's good in areas that don't have much junk to dig and that is hit hard by other hunters.....when you want to go deep.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all

I'm also interested in PI technology.

Hunt wet sands with Sov GT and Quattro.

I used a C Scope 6 PI for three years before that.

Although my gold jewelry finds rate increased, I notice a drop of quality targets.

With the PI, I found white gold rings with precious stones mounts, white gold jewelry, and heavy gold necklaces, small medals and bracelets, plus the current stuff.

With the Minelabs, mostly 18k (Europe here) wedding bands and heavy gold pendants only.

So my question, because I seriously consider buying a PI unit again, will the sea hunter hit those targets listed above? Bracelets, engagement rings etc...??

Just asking because the CS6PI I had was a MOTION PI type, just don't know what system the garrett uses.

The Sea Hunter has the advantage of interchangeable coils over the Surf PI pro and the newer CS4PI.

Thanks a lot from an European beeeeeech Hunter !!

Olegrumpy.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Using a PI in the right places really produces some well sought out finds. Use it out in the water, away from the cut, as that's where all the pull tabs and bottle caps are. Use it where VLF machines are being used. You will get the targets that were too deep for them, and the ones that they disc-ed out which they "THOUGHT" were junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread