Sea Hunter MkII down (again)

KingBee

Mar 25, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Safari, Sea Hunter MkII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to waste coils every other year fighting the SOCal surf. So today was one of those days where you drive to beach, get all set up, put on the head phones and discover the coil is shorting. Dang...

I'll be the first to admit that I run the sea hunter pretty hard and there's a lot of torque getting applied to it from the surf and under currents (helps keep me in shape :happysmiley:). I've never had a single issue with the box. Does anyone have a DIY prevention I can use when my new coil gets here? Without a doubt the short is where the cable meets the coil. On this one I had even put some extra epoxy there to reinforce it and it still fizzled. Guess I'm hitting parks for a while! Thanks, HH.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you shorting out at the coil connection it is Garrett's fault and they should fix it. You can wrap the cable tighter to the shaft at that point so is doesn't flex, one of the main reasons for failure there. Also you should check out the coil edges for plastic that has been sanded away. Good insurance to use a coil cover or epoxy the coil.

OP
OP
KingBee

KingBee

Mar 25, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Safari, Sea Hunter MkII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman. I'll send this one out to Garret and see what they say, it's not the first one I've sent in. In the mean time I'll order another and double check the wraps. I didn't wrap them too tight because of how much the shaft is flexing in the surf. Maybe a new shaft is in order. I'll try fabricating something. I never run the box on the shaft anyways.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe try some kind of coil steady bracket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread