Seagrape Trail

Dodsim

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
Finally made it to the Treasure Coast after living in Florida for nine years now (Casselberry area). I know my Titan 3000xd isn't the best rig for wet sand/surf (especially as it isn't waterproof) but you use what you have. In any case I was only planning to search over dry or packed sand anyway. After about a 2 hour drive I made it to Wabasso Beach and headed left (north) looking for Turtle Pass Trail parking and beach access. It's about 1.5 miles north of CR510 on A1A. Only a few cars were in the lot when I arrived this morning at 9:30am and the beach was almost deserted. A couple of families, one guy detecting in the surf zone and some sunbathers. I spent about 2 hours detecting in the small depressions evenly spaced along the beach where the outgoing tide or rain removes a fair amount of top sand. The beach was spotless. When I did get a signal it usually wasn't repeatable and when I turned on pinpointer to try any hear and change in strength it was constant so I figured no target. I wasn't getting any digable signals. I did find two soda can tabs (don't people understand that these are designed to stay on?), a penny in 4 inches of packed sand and a crud encrusted washer. I kept checking my machine against a quarter I had as well as the soda tabs to convince myself that it was working and it seemed to detect those find in dry/wet sand at different depths. Very frustrating. ???

A small storm cell chased my off the beach and after it passed, I headed south this time along A1A until I found the SeaGrape Beach Trail parking area.

According to my "map", this should have put me fairly close to the Green Cabin and/or Corrigan wrecks just off shore.

This beach had only a couple of people on it! I spent some time here with unfortunately the same sad results as before.

As this was my first trip it was more of an exploratory trip anyway. I saw the usual water bird running around or dropping into the water for fish, schools of small bait fish and some larger jumping fish. Also saw a couple of what appeared to be dolphin.

Nasty, dark clouds with lots of thunder finally chased me out around 12:30. Just made it to the car when it started to rain.

I really didn't expect to find anything special so I'm not really disappointed but a little beginner's luck sure would have been nice!

Spent:
$27.00 for a 1/2 tank of gas - >:(
$3.00 for a bagel and coffee on the way.

Got:
sun, surf and sand
$0.001

At least I'm not wasting my time and money playing golf ;D

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Turtle Trail beach access is SOUTH of cr510 on A1A

Besides being the wrong time of the year to find shipwreck coins and artifacts on the beach, tons of new sand was placed there recently as part of the renourishment effort.

Try in the fall and winter after nor'easters or better yet, after a hurricane. ;D

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Well Dodsim,At least you tried.I agree with the post above.When I was there earlier this summer
there was quite a few feet of new sand on the beach.Even where there was some good cuts,
there was still a lot of new sand below.Very disappointing.Can always try again.Good luck.Joe

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I had made three trips over there I finally found out what was the trick. If you are there in the summer go to the areas where the public beaches are. You might find some nice, high end, jewelry. Sometime in November when there's a reverse in something, a lot of the sand washes off. We hit one area that had about 9 feet of sand washed out, with huge cuts. The only thing we found were fishing weights, at least 50 of them. Soon all of the washouts were covered up with about 15 or more feet of sand with a ton of aluminum cans in it and that's not talking about the millions of pieces of "can slaw." One does feel proud when he recovers an aluminum can at 2 feet. :tongue3:

The only thing that I have found that is anywhere in relation to the wrecks was a large piece of pottery.

If you go there in November, when a lot of the sand washes off, you can even find old US silver coins.

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Yup, FEMA dumped millions of cubic yards of sand on the beaches a few years back. I went there a year or so ago after a storm and there were 10 feet cuts and still found nothing. So it's going to take a large hurricane or Nor Easter to cut down to the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread