Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never seal any coil cover with anything or spray one with bed liner. Part of the coil cover design is to absorb shock like a cars bumper and sealing it takes some of that away. Even with the best sealing job trash will eventually find it's way in and you may not know it. It could cause more trouble than it's worth IMO.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch is right. I once sealed the gap on my Excel and coil cover. Worked fine for a short time and then it started falsing as black sand found a way inside the small gap. Covering the bottom of the coil with marine epoxy is the best solution to protect the coil from wear an tear from rubbing it on the sand and rocks. Sometimes removing a coil cover is almost impossible once they are on. Soaking the cover in hot water sometimes helps to make it softer and larger a might.

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about sealing the coil, as in "waterproofing" the coil? I know I have 3-4 coils that are not "waterproof" and Minelab confirms that? The 9X6 coil, (Or is that "10X6"?) for instance? I would also like to know how people are sealing these? I thought silicone would do fine, as long as the coil is clean, where you are sealing it? I think you would be filling the side of the coil in, where the bottom and sides meet? And then probably put some silicone where the cable comes out, to waterproof that area? Anyone know for sure, what to use and where? Also, I can't even get my coil covers on, as they are too tight and Minelab says they are pressed on at the factory?.....Maybe submerging cover in hot water, for a few minutes, might work? Anybody got any ideas on that?.....Or, is it better to just not use them, since they will probably be impossible to remove, once on?.....Big Red

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Red, I believe he was talking about the coil on his Etrac which is all ready submersible. He was concerned with the sand and debris getting between coil and coil cover.

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, thanks, glad it is working out for you! Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes he was, thanks for the reply and it does seem to be working out for him (so far, anyway?) Big Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread