Search Coils...

BDL69

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm still pretty new to detecting so if this is a dumb question I apologize in advance. I own an AT Pro with the standard 8.5" x 11" PROformance DD submersible searchcoil. While looking at Garretts website, I came across these other search coils but didn't really find any info on advantages or disadvantages they offer to the standard coil.

9" x 12" PROformance concentric searchcoil
6.5" x 9" PROformance concentric searchcoil
5" x 8" PROformance DD submersible searchcoil
4.5" Super Sniper searchcoil

Any input would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all no question is a dumb one we are all hear to learn what we can help out when we can. Anyways I have a Atpro awesome machine mine came with the 8.5x11 good coil, I then bought the 5x8 dd coil & let me tell you it made a huge difference in the machine
More balanced,
Better separation
Alothough it may not be as deep as the stock its light & ur able to get threw,trashy áreas alot easier. I would,recomend this coil hands down, stays on my pro 95% of the time. Now the sniper coil has even more separation & will allow you to get close to metal fences more, metal park equipment ect. Smaller the coil you are losing depth but gaining separation & your making it lighter to use. Disadvantage would be taking longer to cover an área but ull be doin with a scalple
I dont have the concentric coils I preffer dd coils more myself, easy thing to do is just do a quick google on difference between dd & concentric ull get a diagram along with advantages of both. Remember the coils are all ad on tools to make ur main tool perform at its best hope this helps good luck

OP
OP
B

BDL69

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christo000, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks so much.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome glad I could help hh

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Christo000 100%. I bought the 5X8 about two weeks after I bought the AT Pro. The 8.5 X11 was too heavy for me use but the smaller coil balances the machine very nice and I can search comfortably for hours with very little loss of depth. Even with lots of experience with other detectors and 300 hours or more on the ATP, I still learn something new from the sounds and digital readout nearly every time I go out. It's a great machine.
HH

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's 3 things pretty well accepted on search coils. 1. Smaller is better in trashier areas, but a bit of depth and ground coverage is lost. 3. Larger is good for ground coverage and depth, but often heavy to swing. Concentric are considered to discriminate a bit better and to give more depth than widescan (DD) (comparable sizes) but may not perform as well in heavy mineralization and cover less ground at depth. After detecting for several years I found that for most of my hunting bigger was not better which is opposite of what we normally figure.
luvsdux

OP
OP
B

BDL69

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Thanks luvsdux. Glad my wife agrees with the bigger is not necessarily better line of thought.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread