Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use google earth a lot to pinpoint area's that I would like to hike to, I look for bedrock, drops/waterfalls, and HUGE boulders, I also look for where the creek splits and comes back together or where another creek meets.

One area that I worked this summer on dry bedrock was where the creek splits when it floods, that bedrock was/is LOADED with gold.

So far I have done really well for my first true season. :)

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Like Neo says, the bigger the rocks the bigger the gold with exceptions of course. Look for clay layers that are acting as a false bedrock and have bedrock concentrations of gold on them. Also, sometimes its best to just take everything you think you know about where gold is gonna be and forget it and just sample pan anyway. I have been surprised on more then one occasion in finding gold in places it shouldn't be. For example, everyone and their brother will tell you to look for hardpack and I usually say that too. But I have found some crazy gold in some loose fluffy light sands that you would not think gold would normally be in. And I mean crazy gold too, 40+ pieces to the pan which is great for the east coast where I am at.

Also pay attention to the gangue you are finding along with the gold. Both iron oxides and mineralized quartz are well known for running with gold, but often times gold will be found along side other deposits such as lead(galena), copper and tin (cassiterite).

And do your research on local geology and try to find mineralized fault lines, and drainage basins for such. Look for contact zones along the intersecting bodies of two different country rocks (For example slate and limestone).

That's all I can think of for now, hopefully that helps.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGold

Nov 7, 2012
What about flood lines? Can gold get fot up high on the banks after the water goes down?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthernGold,
As for the flood areas look for gravel benches left up high on the bank after a flood. Also check around boulders up high, they will collect gravel around them also and look arounf over turned trees in the root system. Anything up on the bank that is flooded that will slow the flow of water can act as a gold catch.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread