Searched 20 rolls of nickels today. Zero silver, but found a weird 1999 P variation?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this coin is common or not, but it's all I found in my 20 roll nickel search today. On the reverse of one of my 1999 P nickels, Monticello appears to have flames coming out of the top of the building! I don't think it's a cud, but I could be wrong. Looks like it was part of the design to me. Was someone at the mint messing around with Jefferson nickels in 1999? Last day of work mischief?

Any opinions on this coin would be appreciated. I found 10 other 1999 P nickels in my search and none of them had the flames coming out of the building. Could be my imagination, but I had to post this one!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, having trouble uploading the photos!

DSC06258.JPG DSC06259.JPG

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's a mild die clash error. the "flames" are the hair bow. found on P mint '83- '01 Jeffs

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it looks cool!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, port ewen ace! I'm not a big coin collector, so I'm not familiar with die clashes. Had to Google it for more info. Not a rare variation, but still cool!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more defined ones will have obverse lines at back of head & at hair bow, a bold line at left of dome, a line thru MO to FI & thru LO to TS. I've sold nickle clashes for $2 up to $25 for radical versions. most clashes are on P mint coins____ the Philly Mint QC sucks---or the staff are just lazy :dontknow: :laughing7: easiest way to interpret how a clash will appear is hold 2 of same type coins above each other with both reverses lined up in orientation. when you look at the space between both coins you are seeing how the obverse die would strike the reverse die if there were no blank in the press. just remember that the die is a negative image of the coin's image. sounds convoluted :BangHead: but your brain will decipher it, and all these words will make perfect sense. kinda' like what ya' hear on the news, just flip it around to opposite of what the "reporter" says---- and that would be the reality :laughing7::laughing7:
Thanks, port ewen ace! I'm not a big coin collector, so I'm not familiar with die clashes. Had to Google it for more info. Not a rare variation, but still cool!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, two bucks (or more) for a five cent coin isn't bad! LOL! I think I'll stick to searching dimes and quarters for now. Thanks for your help and excellent explanation of die clashes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread