granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I got a lead that got me super excited. they My parents were at a party and heard their friend talking to the former owner of his house, who asked, "Ever find anything interesting on the property?" No, he replied. "Oh, we used to find old coins in the root cellar."

"Root cellar he asked? We have a root cellar? Well, I'll have to find a metal detector or something..."

My mom cut him off and told him he didn't have to look any further. He was stoked at the idea of me coming to search this small spot for potential buried treasure. I learned it was very small, 8' x 8' but the lead was good!

I went over yesterday and it was a raised storage area, more like crawl space, with a dirt floor. Although I brought my detector, my pro pointer was all I needed. Nothing was very deep. Unfortunately, all I pulled out was junk and the toy soldier pictured below (which I'll post in the What Is It) forum. After I asked permission to come back to search his yard, to which he agreed. He then said let's dig one thing up. So I went till I hit a high tone. I got LOTS of high tones, but only dug one. In just one hole I pulled out toy truck pieces and a phone company cable connector (he used to work for the local phone company). I was able to make out the SCAMMELL PLOUGH mark on the bottom of the truck pieces and was able to make a positive ID (see below).

I'll keep you all posted on the backyard finds.

toy-soldier-root-cellar.jpg

Scammell-Snow-Plough.jpg

What the truck used to look like:
Scammell-Snow-Plough-orig.jpg

Vintage LESNEY Matchbox No. 16 Scammell Snow Plough in super clean condition with all original factory paint with dumper that raises and lowers.

Upvote 0

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!
Good luck,
Bunker

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. I hear you! I have to delicately balance my MD time with my family time. At least I know the yard isn't at risk of being hunted from someone else, otherwise my anxiety rate would be high.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI... Subterranean ID'd the toy soldier in the what is it forum: Barclay #991 "Soldier Flame Thrower" of the "Pod foot" series, circa mid 1950's to 1971.

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Finds,

Happy Hunting,

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread