searching new braunfels

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Yes, I can tell you it is not allowed in Landa park, and I have contacted the parks dept there.You will also have a hard time going anywhere near the river or parks in San Marcus with a M.D. but I havent gotten a clear answer as to once you get out of the city limits, so I suspect thats O.K.

OP
OP
coolbeans

coolbeans

Apr 11, 2007
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites...dfx- D2- sunray..dx-1 whites...beach hunter id 300 garrett..ace..250 bullseye..II
thanks for your reply. i was hoping it would be ok, i guess that explains why i have never seen anyone searching there.

Cactus_Cache

May 6, 2007
coolbeans said:
could anyone tell me if metal detecting is allowed in landa park?

Landa Park is FULL of histroy and relics there. The public has been finding artifacts for at least 150 years there when the park was just Comal Springs. Many different Indian tribes came to this area because of the springs. The Mayeyes (Spelled?) Indians were peaceful but were driven back by Commanches and Apaches at one point in history.

There is definately a do not metal detect statue in the city. In Texas, the Parks and Wildlife Department has also made it illegal to hunt or M.D. and historical site. Just about any place imaginable seems to be a historic site in Texas.

I also understand it is illegal to disturb indian burial grounds and it has been verified that Landa Park has a lot of Indian burials. Last year, the city tore up a big area to rebuild a bridge. This was located right in prime burial ground where the river was artificially built. I've walked around and found all sorts of arrowheads and other items laying on top of the ground. It is illegal to pick them up though. Even before that year, there were a bunch of apartments built across from the Comal River. I was told that several indian burial grounds were disturbed and a lot of pottery was found when ground was broken. It seems so unfair that Mr. Corporation can do whatever to use up our resources, yet a private individual can't hunt with a simple M.D.

I would stay away from Landa Park with a M.D. I know several people in that area and I can tell you, "The walls have eyes and the trees have ears."

One day, I was in Landa Park reading a technical text at a Picnic table. I noticed that a New Braunfels Policeman kept driving the road through the park and turning around a various places. In about an hour, he slammed on his brakes, jumped out of his patrol car that was parked in the middle of the road and confronted some old guy just walking through the park with a Wendy's burger bag and a drink. He wanted to know what this guy was doing. When I looked up, the guy was just walking down the sidewalk. Either I missed something earlier or he was just harassing the old gentleman.

Happy Swingin'

Cactus_Cache

Ridge Runner

Greenie
Jan 18, 2008
I hunted Landa Park years ago but it's been a long time now.I made some good finds in that park but that was when silver was still king.The old pool gave up lots of coins and alot of rings.This was when they didn't have a fence around it.I went back about five years ago to hunt the pool but got run out.This is my God given right to hunt that pool but the second time out I went again.Now I see they keep about a foot of water in it now.
People are funny being they are NOT going to hunt a place but they don't want you to hunt it neither.You hear so many times that they have family,friend are who know's what but your not going to be it.Then others swing the door wide open and say why sure just come on in.
Chuck

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I did recently find out that metaldetecting in San marcus is allowed IN THE WATER ONLY, I have taken my canoe mounted hooka with me and dived there with no problems. I always find arrowheads as well as jewlrey and change, (tons of sunglasses) I wouldent mention the arrowheads though just put em in your pocket and go on.

EggHunters

Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I know this is old post but just saw on news last week where Landa Park put in cameras to catch graffiti taggers. So no way would you want to md there now for sure. Also Travis County (Austin etc) is off limits spelled out on their website rules. No metal detecting. Oh well HH anyway. Tye and Sharon

rennie

Aug 26, 2007
New Braunfels, Tx
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
I live in New Braunfels, and asked the city about it and they said no, but I can not get them to show me an ordinance against it? I have MDed the playground and the volley ball area and have never been chased off. I was not looking over my back, so I do not know if a cop drove by or not. I know one thing you will MD for a few years to get past all of the doggone pull tabs. Then you might get to some coins. The indians usually buried their people deeper than 6". That place is usually packed on weekend wall to wall, on holidays it is even worse.

Rennie

rennie

Aug 26, 2007
New Braunfels, Tx
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
I just had a long unfriendly talk with the Landa Park Police, on the phone and they will not allow any of the parks to be MD in town. I asked about a city ordenance and he said there was one. I got the same bull about artifacts ie(arrowheads, graves, pottery). He said any $ found belongs to the city.

The Landa Park Police officer that is supposedly in the know?Said there was a city ordnance that states you can not disturb the turf in any city parks. He said they could not have a 100 people in the park digging holes, and leaving trip hazards.

I asked him about a park permit like San Antonio Parks system has, having a letter permitting you to metal detect in certain San Antonio city parks. He gave me the song and dance about the extra work involved, counterfit permits, and most of all the fees that would have to be collected to cover this type of thing. Also there might be artifacts as arrowheads, and pottery. And any money removed would belong to the park. This guy is a work of dumb art, I asked him about a park next to a water tower across town, which I dout that anyone knows about and he said that was off limits. But if a club or individual can get a permit from the park director it could work as long as everyone behaves and covers up their holes and does not rob any graves?

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=11333&sid=43

it is 86-3

(h) It shall be unlawful for any person to injure or remove any animal from any city park land, playground or recreational area within the city limits except by written approval of the director of parks and recreation for scientific or educational purposes. It shall be further unlawful for any person to pull up, tear up, dig up or out, mutilate, break, burn, remove or carry away any geological formation or historical artifact or geological artifact or portions thereof in any city park land, playground or recreational area within the city limits, except by written approval issued by the director of parks and recreation for scientific or educational purposes. Any such items listed in this subsection that are removed must be returned to the place of origin or to the city, except by written approval from the director of parks and recreation. For the purposes of this section, "historical or archaeological artifact" shall be defined as those artifacts, items or implements of archaeological, historical, scientific or educational interests, including, but not limited to, those pertaining to prehistoric or historical American Indians. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit persons from fishing in a lawful manner in any stream, river or lake located in or adjacent to city park land, playgrounds or recreational areas.
(i) It shall be unlawful for any person to wade or swim in any pond, stream, or water hazard within the boundaries of the Landa Park Golf Course for the purpose of recovering golf balls or for any other purpose.
(j) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined in a sum not to exceed $500.00.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have even called the City Of Austin Parks and recreation on MDing. And they told me it isn't allowed and I asked to speak to the director as I was getting different info from various people in the division who didn't know if it was legal or not. Being frustrated and not being able to talk with the director I decided to head out to one of the parks by Lake Austin. I figured MDing in the sand pits of the volly ball courts would be a good place. I found some penny's, (not many only about $0.12. Some beer cans and a few pull tabs. Then a park employee was driving out and saw me and told me there was no detecting allowed.

I came to a conclusion. Have someone state that while playing volly ball your foot got cut playing and ask the director if you could MD to find anything that one would cut thier foot or body part on, ie; pull tabs, cans, etc. Then explain to them that if someone buried a can and they got cut, that the person could sue the Parks and Recreation for injury.

I haven't tried this motive yet as I am in the field with my unit, but it seems logical that they would let you do it for the safety of the park. It may be a long shot, but I don't think they would get any employees out to rake the sand pits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread