HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Season is not over yet - 1600's Trifid Latten Spoon

Though the fields are planted and work has been impacting my digging schedule - the season is not over yet. I have been working a little 1600's spot for a few years now and recently I discovered a new portion of it.

I got out yesterday for about 2 hours and dug the dish and middle section to the spoon (marked with three spoons). My buddy Bill D. actually dug a similar one (though complete) this past season (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...te-including-complete-1600s-latten-spoon.html)

I have dug several dishes over the years and as many stems or ends, well that changed yesterday. Some might remember that I dug the trifid end a week ago at this site, I added the two missing pieces this trip. I also added a few buttons and round balls. This site will still add a few goodies before it gets too hot.

It already has added two nice finds in the cartridge box sling buckle and now this spoon.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    534.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 3c.JPG
    3c.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 4c.JPG
    4c.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 5c.JPG
    5c.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 6c.JPG
    6c.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 7c.JPG
    7c.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 6

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dan, congrats on the spoon. Any day you can find something from the 1600s it's a great day!

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
Very nice recovery ....I really like that button with the "holes" ... don't see that very often ...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wayda go buddy - that site is continuing to produce some nice early finds! I really like that spoon bowl. I believe it's the same size and shape as mine with a similar mark, but the 3 spoons in your mark are slightly tilted and I see what appears to be some writing around the periphery (WH ....). In my "old Base Metal Spoons" book it shows a mark with what appears to be similar lettering (see pics below). I believe that yours also reads as "DOUBLE WHITED", and most closely matches the mark shown in the first pic based on the positioning of the letters relative to the 3 spoons. This mark may be similar to the "double gilt" backmark on some of the buttons we've dug. Many of these spoons were tinned, or given a silvery appearance, and the book mentions that most of these were stamped "Double Whited" as such. But, as we know, since the register of marks has been lost it's impossible to ascertain who the manufacturer was, or when the spoon was made. Please post up the spoon again after you've finished the reconstruction job. Very nice find Dan!

latten spoon marks3a.jpg

latten spoon marks3b.jpg

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill - it is Double Whited. I will be working on it this evening, think I figured out how I want to approach it. I told you, this site, though does not produce a ton each time, always produces a little and with that comes a few good finds every now and then.

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread