Season not over yet !

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a couple hour window where the weather wasn't too bad today so out for some detecting I went. Hit the same park where I scored a mercury dime, indian head cent and a couple older nickels last week. Like last outing, I decided to ignore the smart screen and just dig very deep, repeatable signals. It paid off again when the first good hit turned out to be a small pocket spill of a 1940 Washington quarter, a buffalo nickel and a wheat cent. I posted a shot of the 2 nails that were in the same hole. I'm sure I walked over the spill a number of times over the 26 years I have detected that park. If I was looking for the textbook upper right silver hit on the explorer, I never would have dug that target. That quarter was the first silver quarter have I dug this year. I have never gone through a whole season without digging at least one so it saved my bacon ! Was lucky enough to later add a 1903 indian head cent and another Buffalo nickel. Brings my totals to 56 indian head cents and 85 old nickels with Buffaloes #47 & 48 on the year. Hope for a few more hunts if weather doesn't turn too cold ! Maybe I can get to 90 old nickels before things freeze up solid.

Attachments

• quarter1.jpg
    quarter1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 140
  • quarter2.jpg
    quarter2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
  • DSCN4808_2866_edited-1.JPG
    DSCN4808_2866_edited-1.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN4810_2867_edited-1.JPG
    DSCN4810_2867_edited-1.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 8
As shiny as the day it went in the ground. :thumbsup:

Good on ya, Ed for finding the Washington quarter. I know I just found my very first buffalo nickel about 3 weeks ago and was thrilled. I have bad knees so I'm somewhat limited in the amount of targets I can dig each time out. So I save them for the higher tones. But I was having a good day and decided to dig a few pull tabs/nickel signals since the property went back to the 1930s. Out popped the buffalo nickel.

Great digs, silver quarters always make the day better! looks like ya might be able to get out a time or two more before the deep freeze hits, get out while ya can!!!

Nice find, that's a good hunt!

Nice silver, it seems we get better stuff after the weather turns. Kinda like a reward

Very nice finds. Congrats on the Washington! GL&HH.

It's not as cold when you find that silver.

Awesome silver quarter, pretty good detail on it too. Yep dig those goodies while you can!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back