SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was feeling lazy this week and decided to do a little playground hunting. Ended up in an old school yard that is heavily hunted but huge. After finding two cents in the wood chips, I wandered around the outside edge of the playground, an area that many of the hunters forget about, and pick up a few quarters, dimes and pennies. One of the signals sounded like a dime, but what came out just a couple inches down was what appeared to be another crusty, disintegrating zincoln, same color as the clad and other coins. Pennies will sometimes sound like dimes to the Xterra so I didn't give it another thought, just tossed it in with the other coins.

When I was cleaning out my finds pouch that evening though, I remembered the crusty coin and realized when I pulled it out that it was the size of a dime, not a penny. I thought maybe a foreign coin. I tossed into lemon juice to soak, and when I checked it part of the crust that had fallen off one side showed "one dime" on the coin. It took a couple of hours of alternating between lemon juice and tin foil/salt/baking soda/boiling water before the other side gave way and I nearly keeled over. My first seated dime - an 1891 - pitted, but still legible. I've pulled silver coins this damaged from the water, but this was near the top of a hill. Must be 120 years of Minnesota winters.

Attachments

• seated front.JPG
    seated front.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 67
  • seated back.JPG
    seated back.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh its pretty great job :thumbsup:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting