Seated Half - Seated dime - 1867 shield nickel sandwich!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I went for a hunt today, and wandered over to the "new" section where I hadn't hunted much. Glad I did

I got a choppy high signal on my CTX at a very shallow depth 3". Thought it was a shoddy clad schwag quarter, but when I dug in I couldn't find the darn thing. Rescan and it's still there. Finally at 7" down I see a coin pile and thought clad again. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432338833.692763.jpgbut then I noticed the big coin and thought hey, maybe this is standing half...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432338880.430090.jpglook at them Sa'miches!ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432338905.392118.jpgpried 'em apart.

I saw the writing and said Barber Half baby! And then...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432338986.358285.jpgyeah I wiped it, so what! 1871-S Seated Half!!!

Cleaned up partially, will clean more tomorrow. The shield nickel is a 1867 without rays. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339046.158338.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339055.308865.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339067.697704.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339086.190192.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339118.795524.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339128.433709.jpgback together again!ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432339138.624510.jpg

I'm very excited about this find. Aaaaaand the Seated Half puts me at, drumroll...100 silver coins for the year. Phew!!!

I love this hobby. Happy Hunting everyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 29
That's a heck of a coin spill. :headbang: Congrats! I love the pic of the half with the nickel imprint on it.

Congrats! On your 100th silver! Yea! Awesome!

It's always a treasure when you get them out of the ground. You can't buy that! great find!!!

One of the best coin spills I have seen posted!!! :notworthy:

That's a heck of a coin spill. :headbang: Congrats! I love the pic of the half with the nickel imprint on it.

Thx Evo. The coins were welded together with 130 years of corrosion. I had to pry them apart. An absolutely fun find for me.

Dang, that's incredible, I love all 3 of those coins and to find them at once, and stuck together in a spill?
freakin awesome finds, its stuff like that that keeps the rest of us out there hopin and pluggin

congrats!

That half is a really nice find bud. Love the coin sandwich man

I say Scrappy Doo you seem to have found some nice coins too!vanzutphen

For some reason I just got hungry for a sa'miche, where can I order one like yours?

Big Congrats Steve.
You dont see them coming out everyday.
Is that ur first seated half?
I have never found one yet..
Love the pic of them all together.

Big Congrats Steve.
You dont see them coming out everyday.
Is that ur first seated half?
I have never found one yet..
Love the pic of them all together.

Definately my first seated half. I got the rest (sans the bust and earlier) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432344830.792339.jpgbut thought this one would always elude me. I lined up all the halves series I've found and they're sitting next to me right now.

Thanks George. Now get your Arse over here and find some stuff!!

Definately my first seated half. I got the rest (sans the bust and earlier) View attachment 1165239I lined up all the halves series I've found and they're sitting next to me right now.

oh cool, look at 4 coins ill NEVER be fortunate enough to find!

yeah im jealous, lol

That half is a really nice find bud. Love the coin sandwich man

Thanks Abe. All I wanted to find here was a seated dime. After finding that plus a half at once is more than I could ever ask. Crazy hobby we had huh?!

What a bummer! No rays eh? Oh well, better luck next time, lol!

Epic coin spill, Sweeeet!!

Guess I'm not posting my first ever big silver after seeing this. Lol

What a bummer! No rays eh? Oh well, better luck next time, lol!

A real bummer. I was so upset there were no rays that I almost threw the other coins in the garbage. Lol. Thx

That's one heck of a sandwich. Great finds. Congrats....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back