Second 1850s Silver in less then a week!

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second 1850's Silver in less then a week!

Wow I can not believe it. Last week I found the 1855 seated half and today I pull a 52 three cent piece in great shape. That's how I do it, "just like downtown". :laughing7: DSC01973.JPG DSC01974.JPG DSC01971.JPG DSC01978.JPG Notice error on the right side of coin. DSC01980.JPG

Upvote 22
Nice finds again Helix ! I just found my first silver 3 center this week, a 1853, and I thought mine was in good condition until I saw yours which is better. HH

Great Finds! That Error looks pretty major. You should post that in the "COINS" section of this forum, alot of knowledgeable people on there. I thought I was seeing things when I saw that..lol

Great Finds! That Error looks pretty major. You should post that in the "COINS" section of this forum, alot of knowledgeable people on there. I thought I was seeing things when I saw that..lol

Yeah would be interesting to see " What Up" ..I thought there was a drop of water on the coin.

I need to look again, but is there a "E" on the Spot.?
I agree on the good Condition.

Davers

Geez guy thats a sweet spot you have to hunt there need any 3 center here still , big silver has eluded me all year except for one heavy 26 G silver ring that happens to be a Telegraph line workers ring ! And yeah I get a little bit of gold occasionally but still the coin silver has eluded me it seems this year because nothing above dime sized has shown but I am still trying !

Sweet silver dude what numbers did it hit and how deep was it I bet it was a weak signal sounds like a great spot keep at it

Three cent was bouncy lower signal. From what I remember it was down around the nickel range. About the comments on the error, will post under coins forum. It is very strange the "M" in America actually goes under the extra nub. I can see how that would of been possible with just one strike ? Almost like the "E" was struck alone after someone noticed the nub. I have no clue?

Yeah it is the "E" in America on top of the extra nub of silver and part of the "M" appears to run under the nub. Very odd.

Awesome finds Helix! I hit a coin shop on a business trip a few weeks back and some of the 3 cent silvers they had didn't look as good as yours! Congrats!!!

I think I can see the R on part of the blob, and maybe the bottom of the M on the ridge? Im dying to hear what the coin experts say about this and how many million of dollars this is worth lol!

Your are right. Now that I have had better chance to look at coin and not just the pic part of the "M" does run on top and not under the cud. Also the part of "R" runs on top too. First off I am no coin expert but.. Form what I have read it might of been formed from a break in the die during the striking process. The coins I had seen were missing all detail or wording in the area of die break. Small part of the die would break of leaving a cavity or during striking process a high spot. If that's the case with my 3 cent why is there wording still there if part of the die broke off?? Anyhow I am sure that's the case here.

possible to see a photo of the back of pendent/amulet. ?

possible to see a photo of the back of pendent/amulet. ?

I figured it was a religious item, baby jesus ??? Almost looks like they are wearing medieval style clothing though. Maybe sat in some sort of frame at one point due to the edge around the outside Looks like a house or building down towards ladies elbow. Appears to be plated with copper base. No rings, loops or hooks that would of been needed if it was on a chain or necklace. DSC01981.JPG Does look crudely made, I figure mid 1800 just like most everything else from this site. No marks or stamps on back from what I can see. Any thoughts? DSC01984.JPG DSC01985.JPG

From the array of finds I see you are in a very good spot for old finds......Congratulations on the 3 center, very nice!!

The E stamped on the blob is the E in America no? You just may have a really rare coin there. I see nothing about errors for that coin in my coin book.
Definitely do some research on that one for sure. Congratulations on that and all your super finds.

The E stamped on the blob is the E in America no? You just may have a really rare coin there. I see nothing about errors for that coin in my coin book.
Definitely do some research on that one for sure. Congratulations on that and all your super finds.

Correct it is the E in America. Yes I did some online searching and found nothing also in the way of that type of error on the 52 3 cent. When I have some time here soon I am going to take it to my local coin shop and get his opinion.

Please do and post what they say! And obviously dont sell to the first bidder!

The guy at coin shop told me it is a planchet error. So in other words the cud was on the blank when the coin was stamped. He also said it is hard to give a price due to the fact no others like it could be found in order to guage a price. He also said if he was to Eblay it he would start at 100 bucks not graded. Anyway I don't sell anything, not my motivation.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back