Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lined up three early 1800s sites today... I visited the houses of the owners but NOBODY was home at any of them. I decided I would stop at a late 1800s house or early 1900s if I saw one on the way home though. The place I stopped at was an 1880 house with a super creepy old barn, I asked to metal detect and the lady said sure so... I started digging. First two targets were junk, the third was this beaut. Although it has 4 holes (just why?) it is still in pretty nice condition and not very corroded at all. I dug at this house for about an hour and a half more and found this lead ball (I think it might be a bullet, confirmation would be nice though) and a few other lead things and a clad quarter. Not too much in terms of quantity but thats ok. I have only found five IHP's this year, three of them have been this week, and two of them have been the 1864-L pennies. I only detected the front yard of the house so I definitely plan to go back.
IMG_2149.JPG
I also stopped at a park dating back to 1840s, nothing was found because my feet were freezing cold. Maybe tomorrow... I am a newbie and I really look forward to the day I will find a seated coin or largie, every hunt I think maybe this time. 2020 goals I guess, well I've got tomorrow to hunt so we'll see. Happy hunting!

NOTE: I haven't looked at it under high magnification yet, I could be wrong about it having the L, but I am pretty sure I see it.

Last edited:
Upvote 17

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a nice indian! Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like it could have an L. Maybe they put the holes in it to use it as a button.
The lead piece looks to be a round ball for a rifle or musket.
Great finds

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks VTColonialDigger, I didn't think of it being used as a button but that would make sense. I'm pretty happy about the roundball, my first one this size.

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's cool, but, button doesn't make sense. You want the holes near the center for a button, so it'll stay in the hole. Threads near the outer edges would cause it to keep popping loose.
I got nothing, though, as far as other possible reasons for the holes. Not in good spots to be part of a bracelet, either.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't think of that, maybe somebody was just bored or they nailed it to something for whatever reason.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a 1/2 reale that had four holes in it like your coin. It had a slight bend in it. The only thing I can think is it was homemade jewelry and was a crudely made ring. Perhaps tied on the finger? Whatever they actually were used for, I agree the holes are too far near edges to be an effective button. Your lead ball looks like a musket shot to me. Cool finds.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ol' Indian, has four holes on outside, to be sewn onto something, for decoration...
All VERY cool finds...! :icon_thumright:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That IHP is very cool Noah. Inever seen one holed like that. Bet it was used as a button. Nice find!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the thoughts on the penny with holes! Obviously a whole penny without holes would be nice but sometimes it seems like the coins with holes are more fun... its got a story. Oh, and the roundball, it has a side that looks like its hit something when it was fired.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A couple of nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks and happy hunting in 2020!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job those old homes seem the perfect places good job getting permissions you earned those nice keepers. Well done. Happy new year. Tommy

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job!! The large cents will come when you least expect it.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy, and happy new year. I've had a lot of luck so far at these oldish homes... especially in front yards.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Joe-Dirt, I sure won't expect it when the first LC pops out of the hole... I am still pleasantly surprised everytime anything good pops out of the hole. I can't wait to start adding finds to my 2020 totals! Just had to snow again this week didn't it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread