Second day at Whisper park

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
Jim and I went back to the park on Sunday where those faint whisper sounds were giving up so much silver. Jim set his White Spectrum to relic mode and cranked up the sensitivity to get extra depth, and it seemed to work pretty well. I found the first silver(a Merc dime) but he found the second and third (war nickel and Merc dime), then I got the fourth and fifth (both Merc dimes) and he got the sixth (another Merc). I finished the day with two more Mercs. Again, most of the coins were faint whispers that were hard to nail down, but the effort was well worth it. I saw Jim dig his last Merc from a good 9 inches down, and some of the silver I dug was even deeper. Even the clad was deep. We both dug clad dimes at 6 inches, and I dug a 3 Merry Widows tin from close to a foot down(both halves about 10 inches apart). There was also the usual scattering of corroded green wheats and a few Indianheads, by count 8 and 4 respectively. We plan to go back and grid the park since there don't seem to be any real hot spots that we could find by wandering. The place is so huge it could take a month of weekends just to get a handle on it, but as long as it keeps producing, we'll keep going back.

Attachments

• whisper2.jpg
    whisper2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
That's a huge load of Mercs you pulled out of that site,WTG!It sounds like it going to produce big finds for you for a long time.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap...Yall had one heck of a day...Think the mercs are some of the finest looking coins the US has ever minted.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nothing more beautiful then a merc ! ,,,,, yes there is , 5 mercs :o congrats on the great finds

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! :o Thats alot of mercs. Great day out in the field. :o

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shhhhh!
Alright already those are nice finds.

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Wow. The only thing better than 5 Mercs would be 6 Mercs. But who's counting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread