Second detector

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro, with the works, 3 coils, with covers, on their own lower rods, Pin pointer, digging tools, etc. I will be adding another detector this summer, I really like the ATP, my first detector, and I put about 400 hours on it last season. On the fence........E-trac, ctx3030, or Deus. No salt water hunting, Great Lakes,............ Parks............... Homesites, I don't want to say money is no problem, but I am retired, and hunt 4-5 days a week, and can afford, and will use which ever one often but do I need a $2500 detector? Leaning towards the Etrac ?????? Like the light weight wireless Deus

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX hands down. The balance is better than Etrac, faster recovery speed, combined audio, target trace, wireless headphones, GPS and a clock( even though being retired you probably don't worry about what time it is anymore!)

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Fletch, but I do need to know what time it is, so I can take my meds!!!! Lol
CTX hands down. The balance is better than Etrac, faster recovery speed, combined audio, target trace, wireless headphones, GPS and a clock( even though being retired you probably don't worry about what time it is anymore!)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously the Etrac is a great machine and used ones can be had at very good prices, but all in all I would go for the CTX. I have no experience with the Deus but like not worrying about rain, or wading even if I don't plan on going over knee deep.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX would be my choice too.

2TallHunter

Greenie
Mar 11, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro also and if I had $2500 I would get the ctx3030 in a hart beat. The E-trac is not waterproof. The E-trac is half the ctx3030. The CTX3030 is waterproof up to 10 ft and uses FBS 2 multiple frequency transmission. It has GPSi a very high sensitivity and accurate recording of geo locations, GeoTrails show the ground that you have already covered, WayPoints mark points of interest, FindPoints mark your treasure location. It has Wireless Audio, and Full Color Display with backlight if you hunt at night. The E-trac is not water proof. The CTX3030 is my dream machine. Compare them here Metal Detectors - Minelab Metal Detectors - for metal detecting, gold prospecting, treasure hunting, pulse induction and countermine operations.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted with guys that have the ctx 3030 and the E-trac. I have the V3i and I am happy with it. For the price difference i would go with the e-trac.
The 3 of us have hunted about 5 times now and 3 times since i had my V3i and finding anything can be subjective but none of the detectors out did the other on iffy signals. We hunted side by side and checked each others signals and in several cases traded places and covered the same ground a 2nd time. We have a standard joke about finding a target in the other guys area before he does but all i can say is once you spend over $1000 for a detector i think it has more to do with skill level using your detector than what brand you have.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, I've had a SOV GT for about two years, and I am considering an AT pro to get completely submerged. All in all how does the AT pro work for you? Why do you feel that perhaps you need a better detecter,?
I've heard good things overall. The jury is still out on the actual quality of its case....
Regarding my SOV, I know its been around a while, but for what it does and what I use it for the SOV GT really has been very good. thx

Last edited:
OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not one complaint with the ATP, more than happy, light weight, deep, very capable detector, and do not want to replace it...................just adding to the arsenal, plus I want a back up, just in casel
Hi, I've had a SOV GT for about two years, and I am considering an AT pro to get completely submerged. All in all how does the AT pro work for you? Why do you feel that perhaps you need a better detecter,?
I've heard good things overall. The jury is still out on the actual quality of its case....
Regarding my SOV, I know its been around a while, but for what it does and what I use it for the SOV GT really has been very good. thx

-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus, hands down. Light weight, wireless, great stock programs, regular updates of software, amazing seperation. On this rock of a country I live in it has totaly taken over as the prefered top line machine.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I've had a SOV GT for about two years, and I am considering an AT pro to get completely submerged. All in all how does the AT pro work for you? Why do you feel that perhaps you need a better detecter,? I've heard good things overall. The jury is still out on the actual quality of its case.... Regarding my SOV, I know its been around a while, but for what it does and what I use it for the SOV GT really has been very good. thx
If you ever want to get rid if it let me know.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I've had a SOV GT for about two years, and I am considering an AT pro to get completely submerged. All in all how does the AT pro work for you? Why do you feel that perhaps you need a better detecter,? I've heard good things overall. The jury is still out on the actual quality of its case.... Regarding my SOV, I know its been around a while, but for what it does and what I use it for the SOV GT really has been very good. thx
Keep the Sov as a backup beach machine and get an Excalibur or CTX for the water. I think you'd regret trying to use and AT Pro in wet salt water sand.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had 1500 to spend, I would seriously consider the deus. Its extremely lightweight and wireless. That being said, if money were no object, the 3030 is the way to go.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had 1500 to spend, I would seriously consider the deus. Its extremely lightweight and wireless. That being said, if money were no object, the 3030 is the way to go.

I am interested in the ctx 3030, but if gps and water proof are the only benefits, I am not sure that would be worth another grand over my V3i

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in the ctx 3030, but if gps and water proof are the only benefits, I am not sure that would be worth another grand over my V3i

I never tried it but I hear its the deepest out there in that price range, besides the atx. The GPS would be the plus for me. I have a hard time out in the woods remembering where items were found.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never tried it but I hear its the deepest out there in that price range, besides the atx. The GPS would be the plus for me. I have a hard time out in the woods remembering where items were found.

Deep machine if you don't put a lot of discrimination on it. I purchased the 17" coil and I have been getting targets at averages around 9-12 inches in depth, but coins are extremely hard to pinpoint in some cases with this coil.

The Deus is a good detector. I am still learning it, but it don't seem as rugged as the CTX, although there is a video showing it being run over by a car, which to me is hard to believe. The Deus seems to go really deep for the size of the coil and as light weight as it is. What impresses me is the capability in a lightweight machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread