Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beginning of August I found my oldest coin, a well worn and toasted 1805 Half Cent. Thought that might be it for the year... Sometimes its nice to be wrong!

My brother in law, my son and I went to an old homesite we started to hunt this past spring. As far as I can tell it predates the 1860s because it does not show up on the 1861 county map. Last time we were there my brother in law picked up a dandy of a Large Cent... an 1851 in superb condition - only 2 - 3 inches below the surface! :hello2:

That day we were doing a bit of cherry picking... today we decided to dig alot more iffy signals. Found a lot more nails! Some of them were copper. (anyone know when copper nail useage was common? ??? )

My son found the first nice find - an 1817 Large Cent.. his first old coin. :icon_thumright: :hello2: It again was only 3" below the surface! My brother in law found a spoon handle.. I found the remains of a fork... now it was a bit deeper at 9" and rang in as a quarter. ???

My son also found a nice plated button.... it has stars on the back and the word plated. He initially was disappointed that he only found "some new button" until I showed him that it was plated and certainly was not new! :wink:

It was getting dark deep in the woods, and seeing the finds was getting difficult when I found my treasure.. the 1809 Half Cent. Again, this coin was only 2" deep - all three coins were found in a line about 25-30 feet from each other! ;D At that point we had to call it a day due to darkness... :( Anyone want to take a guess as to if we are going back??? ::)

I have the LC soaking tonight... will post pictures of it tomorrow. Maybe by then we can tell if it has 13 or 15 stars???

Sorry about the quality of the other pictures!

Attachments

• Brian silver button front.jpg
    Brian silver button front.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 267
  • silver button back.jpg
    silver button back.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 301
  • 1809 half cent back.jpg
    1809 half cent back.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 1809 half cent front.jpg
    1809 half cent front.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 299
  • fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 299
  • fork - side.jpg
    fork - side.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting to dig a Half Cent,they arent very common!!!

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the kind words. Its amazing that in the one year that I have been doing this I've found these two halfs but no Largies. ??? I guess my day will come eventually.

Update on my son's LC. After the initial looksie, it appears to be a few years older... either a 1812 or 1813??? :icon_thumright: Will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread