stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 3 bullets.
IMG_20171019_113957.jpg
This is my second hunting, 1-1:30h.
Ground balance is be about 80.
I am a little confused, i am almost constanly get signals like 30-35, should i dig this?
So i put iron on 34, and reduce it. What do ou think about this?
Land is: (click for bigger image):
IMG_20171019_110202.jpg
IMG_20171019_110206.jpg
IMG_20171019_110208.jpg

Upvote 5

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't have a Max, but if it's like the AT Pro, 34 is most likely iron, not alway's tho. If your looking for something other then iron, switch to pro coin. That should mask most iron. I'm just guessing the Max has pro coin by the way. Good Luck.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but if i in coin mode, do i get rings and other jewerly?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would find a nice area of the woods away from this structure and minimal signs of human activity. You will then have minimal iron in the ground and other trash or pipes or electrical lines. You will still be able to find some targets and easier to learn your detector in a less trashy area. Good luck.

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In coin mode, you'll still get silver rings, which to my knowledge are the rings most likely to hold stones. You will however miss out on most gold items in coin mode.

I should note that I use an AT pro, but I'm sure they are similar in that way.

I have heard of gold rings being found with high 30's VDI (higher karat?), but I personally wouldn't dig anything in the 30's (unless you're searching for relics, too), as a gold ring at those numbers would be extremely rare. 30's is most likely iron and possibly foil in the high 30's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is zero mode with 20 iron the same what custom mode in 20iron?

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is zero mode with 20 iron the same what custom mode in 20iron?

Yes. Custom is just a setting that saves itself so each time you turn on the machine it has the same settings. Any adjustments in zero mode go back to stock settings when you turn machine back on.

If youre curious to what the signals are at 35 dig a few so you know. 99% chance its iron. Coin mode is a setting the Garrett factory included in the detector which automatically ups the irom descrim and knocks out pull tabs and nickels most likely. You'll only hear bronze indians heads, copper coins and silver.

A popular settimg for at pro users is zero mode with a +30 on iron descrim. Dig everything else above 30 and learn what the machine is telling you.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro Zero is the setting I always used when swinging the AT PRO.
If the settings are similar then it is possible to pick up gold in the 40's. I did recover gold rings in the 50's & 60's.
Set up a test area and put down various items.
Mark on an index card: The item, then the number that it registers. eg; nickel, 51-52,, 14k gold ring, 65, quarter, 87, etc.
Tape the card to your machine. Before you know it, you'll know your numbers without looking at the card.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record, that is one bullet and 2 shells. But hey, Nice

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its anything like the AT Pro I usually ran mine in pro 0 mode with iron audio on. If its like the ATP and say you bump up your discrim to 20 with iron audio on, everything above 20 will sound as a mid tone, so without any discrim you would get an iron grunt for everything below 40 IIRC. Then with no discrim when you start getting mid tones just pay attention to even sounding signals with consistent VDIs and dig them. Should you dig targets VDIing in the 30s? Depends on what youre looking for. Dont know if this will help you much but its a little factiod about those machines.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you, i learn a lot of things from you. This is my second hunting and i met my detector a lot of more, and i find 3 bullet, so i expected tommorow when i to go hunt a lot of better results.
Tommorow i go to next hunting, i go settings to, sensitivity 1 from maximum, iron to 28, and threshold 0.
What do you think about this?
Second time my sensitivity is be a maximum, and this detector is not be a fully stable, i constantly get a lot of quiet signals, so i think when i low sensitivity for 1 ist be a better.

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very basic rule of thumb for me, if you don't care about relics and are looking for jewelery and coins, dig anything over 40 that has solid, repeatable tones. Meaning the VDI isn't jumping +/- 3 digits every swipe.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI isn't jumping +/- 3 digits every swipe?
My english is not perfect, so please explain again my friend.

Last edited:

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI isn't jumping +/- 3 digits every swipe?
My english is not perfect, so please explain again my friend.

Meaning with each swing over the item there isn't a large change in the VDI number. 48-39-46-38-51, would a target I wouldn't dig. 48-47-48-49-47-48, would be a target I would dig.

Hope that helps.

bmcopeland

Feb 19, 2017
Madison Indiana
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just used my new ATMax for the first time this week on the beach. So I have a lot of getting use to. I did however find a 14k diamond ring on coin mode and it came in at 49 50 in that mode.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you, today i dig again and hope for good things :)..

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am dig today in beach, and i am confused.
Balance is be 19-55 depends what detector said, when i be half meter from water is be 19, when i be 1m from water, its be 55.
Threshold is be 0, sensitivity is 2 from maximum, and iron is 44.
I get a lot of signals, really a lot of. I dig some holes, but i didnt find anything, but i get signals 60+, and sound is be something beetween.
attachment.php

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My today finds:
IMG_20171022_123004.jpg
I have a lot of questions:
I get in a couple of times signal 80, next second 5,6, next 79, next 5,.. In same place, can anyone explain me why?
And, i dig some holes where i have good audio and number 50-60, but in hole dont have nothing. Can anyone explain me why?

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My today finds:
View attachment 1507611
I have a lot of questions:
I get in a couple of times signal 80, next second 5,6, next 79, next 5,.. In same place, can anyone explain me why?
And, i dig some holes where i have good audio and number 50-60, but in hole dont have nothing. Can anyone explain me why?

The huge variation in signals (5, 6, 79, 5) is probably due to a halo effect on rusty iron. The soil has soaked up some of the rust so to speak and it creates a large false mineralized halo of rust around the iron. I wouldn't worry about digging them, just look out for good consistent repeatable signals. If you are suspicious that your machine is falsing with your 50-60 signals try turning 90 degrees or perpendicular to your target and swinging over it again, bad ground balance could be causing this.

The reason you are getting different ground balance numbers the nearer you are to the water is that the salt water is conductive so the wetness of the sand is also changing its conductivity and therefore your ground balance. Either ground balance very often or try to walk parallel to the water so that the soil is staying consistent.

Bad ground balance will also effect the accuracy of your VDI.

Where are you located?

Please take the time to watch the instructional videos from garrett about your machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread