Second muzzle loading rifle !!!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Diggin' bottles this morning I found my second old rifle !!!
The one on the top is from this morning, the bottom one I found when I was probably 14. " an interesting story about that if anyone would like to hear "
I have a GARRETT on the way but I have never owned a metal detector. I am excited to see what is out there buried for me to find.
Anyway, here is a picture of them....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
IMG_8625_1_2_1.JPG

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow those are cool
the bottom looks like a lever action to me & the top is the muzzle-loader.....looks like percussion cap type, maybe late civil war?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom one is one of the many variations of Cosmopolitan or Gwyn and Campbell Civil War Carbines.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Diggin' bottles this morning I found my second old rifle !!!
the bottom one I found when I was probably 14. " an interesting story about that if anyone would like to hear "

Please do tell !!!! ???

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Here is the story of my first Muzzle loading rifle that almost drowned me...
I grew up in East Corinth, Vermont. A small river called the Tabor Branch runs through the village. I was alwas at the river fishing for trout and exploring for treasure.
I was fishing at one of the deeper swimming holes when I got a snag and lost my newly bought lure.....
The next day a friend and me went to the spot with out swimming masks to get it back. The current gets a little swift where the lure got snagged so we resorted to jumping in holding bowling ball sized rocks to carry us to the bottom. Once on the bottom, +/- 6 feet, I could see the lure tangled up with this piece or metal sticking out of the rocks and sand.
I couldnt seem to get it so I came up for air, grabbed another rock and back down knowing exactly where the lure was now.
There was what looked like an iron bar sticking out of the sand beside the strange, bent piece of metal holding my lure as prisoner. I grabbed the bar to try to loosen up the other piece of metal and presto I was holding a muzzle loading rifle with my lure hooked to the "LEVER" under the trigger!!!
Have any of you ever tried to swim in 6 feet of water holding a rifle? It is not easy. I had to drop the rifle and go up for air one more time. Kirk, my friend said that when I came up I had eyes as big as dinner plates and was gasping for air. One more time down and I had my treasure.
The rifle still had the wooden stock but as it dried in the sun on the front porch it turned to dust, now only the metal survives.
I think this gun is actually a breech loader, one that would take a paper cartridge. There is still a lead bullet in the chamber......Cant help but wonder how it ended up in the river.

Hope you like.... Be kind I type with one finger....

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:o VP, nice story and pictures, thanks for sharing with us. I hope you enjoy that new 250 when it comes. Most of us would be lucky to find one gun, let alone two. WYG...... HH when you get that detector.

Desertfox

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct, the Cosmopolitan was a breechloader. It was one of the various cavalry carbines used during the Civil War, great piece of history!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and amazing the way you found the first gun! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread