Second opinion

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at a store and I came across this paining I believe it's a famous African-American artist any second opinion or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485724498.982885.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485724510.372484.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Signed Boota Haiti. I would be looking elsewhere, IMHO.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's not signed bouta Haiti

It could be Bouta, either way, it's Haitian. I guess I was just confused by your usage of African-American. I still say it's Boota. The two letters are pretty much identical. You would think if one were a "u", there would be some slight difference.

The signature is also different than the signature on this painting listed on Worthpoint.
haiti-oil-painting-bouta-haiti-art_1_0cbe37f45fd29e4a5ab036309c26735c.jpg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

I don’t know who ‘Bouta’ of Haiti might be, but that picture plagiarises the work of the American artist Charles Lee (1948-present). He frequently paints stylised musicians, and the Haiti painting is loosely copied from (inspired by if you want to be kind) this one titled “Violin and Cello Duet”, with some rearrangement of the limbs and other changes to the details:

Charles Lee.jpg

https://www.parkwestgallery.com/exploring-the-art-of-charles-lee/

Much of his work is sold via the Park West Gallery and I believe they also have franchises for the sale of arts via galleries on large cruise ships.

His work seems to be highly copied by others trading on the popularity of his style though, such as this effort from a gallery in Greece, and I suspect yours is a studio copy using a fictitious name of Bouta.

Charles Lee Copy.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions