Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week one of my hunting buddies killed a 3 point deer with the antler missing on the right side. The deer I shot and he escaped was a six point of the same approximate size as the one my buddy shot. The missing antler was clipped neatly and there was a slight furrow across the deer's head. apparently just as I fired the deer reached back to lick his shoulder and the bullet sheared his antler and just knocked him silly for a few minutes. Then he regained consciousness and ran off while I was gathering my gear! That's the only explanation I can come up with. I couldn't see the deer's movement at the shot because of the dense black powder smoke. I knew I wasn't that lousy a shot! Anyway the deer wasn't wasted after all and that's a comfort to me. Monty

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Monty said:
Anyway the deer wasn't wasted after all and that's a comfort to me. Monty

I know what you mean, Monty. Any hunter worth his salt is haunted by the thought of a lost or lingering kill. I'm glad to hear that this story ended the way it did.

All the best,
PBK

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
That's good to hear, Monty. I'd hate to think it was lost, too. The last one I shot, I couldn't find for quite a while, and after giving up and heading back to my stand, I almost tripped over it :D :D.

Great ending to your story.

Roger

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool deer story. Father-n-law's buddy shot an elk from a ridge a few hundred yards away. Knock the elk down! The elk got up and within just a few seconds a second blast from the ridge went off. Not the buddy's. Someone else happened to be waiting on the same ridge and saw the whole thing then took his shot at it. The guy that kills the animal is the winner. Before Don could get over there the other guy had made it and loaded up the animal. No idea what he loaded it onto, but, Don said it was gone. Imagine that. That's waht they told to me. I know how some of those Arkansas folks can be.....hmm.....

Laater...

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hunters can be sneaky folks, and sometimes irritating. We were sitting in our stands a few weeks ago, and just BEFORE sunrise a truck rolls by and stops on the highway a few hundred yards from the stand. It's my property, so I was wondering who it could be. Truck paused, some noise was heard, 4-wheeler took off the opposite direction across the road from me. Truck goes down the road a bit, turns around, comes back and gets quiet. BOOM! They had that deer shot, loaded and gone, all within 20 minutes. No talking, no bragging, no nothing. A few minutes later the sun rose. Darn poachers! They'd gotten the one that was heading for MY stand, I know they did! ;D >:(

Good job putting two and two together, Monty. Glad it was salvaged! -Noodle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread