Secret Santa Goes Bad

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Like millions of fools, I was talked into the Secret Santa ordeal at the family Christmas outing. We have a $20 limit and this year all of the gifts were not wrapped. My nephew got to draw first and he chose my gift. I had put a 1960 proof set into the gift exchange.As we are going through the swaps back and forth, my nephew tears the coins out of the plastic wrap and stuffs them into his pocket. This is an 18 year old who has been to countless banks with me getting and dumping coins. His efforts netted him $.91. What a genius. Happy New Year Everybody, Jim

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is appropriate to take it back and give him an Apple I-tunes gift card.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know about teenagers. When you think you have "trained them up," they just do the opposite.

Happy New Year Coolpix,

apush :read2:

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Coolpix, that was a pretty sweet gift to give for the secret Santa ordeal. The only thing you maybe could have done is place a note on the proof set--telling the "taker" that these coins are to NOT be removed from their protective wrapping because they are a collector set...and if they don't want to keep/store the coins, then to simply pick a different gift.

Seems ridiculous that we have to educate others about this sort of thing, but considering the level of understanding and knowledge that people seem to possess now-days, it's necessary.

Anyway, I commend you for trying to give--what I would guess was--one of the more decent and worthwhile gifts :-\

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
quick tell him uh dude heres a buck -for that 91 cents in your pocket -ps now know who NOT to leave your coin collection to in your will

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
AGBlex said:
i am embarrassed for my generation
As am I.
Now not to offend you but I absolutely hate people who do this. "Oh good for you, you didn't even get $1, did it ever cross your mind the coins were in plastic for a reason, let alone they are silver?"
Thats what I would have told him.
And I have my facts right, the older proof sets are much more difficult to come across, thus more valuable.
Be very careful about who you let handle your coin collection because what is a crisp uncirculated set of canada's last paper bank note series to me, is just $185 that "should be spent" to my sister. And thats why she doesn't know how to get into my safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread