Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Austin,Texas there are people going around the "hood" looking for people who have a security system sign out in their front yard, and then printing up phony name badges and company flyers,the try and come into your house by saying that there's a problem with your system.I turn they rob you when your not at home.Remember ,your security company will always call you or send you an email before coming over,+ they'll have their own truck/van.They will never ask you to punch it your pin number while they stand next to you.Several people here in town have been robbed because of this:icon_scratch:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing people do is leave lights on. Don't do that. I do a walking paper route and can always tell when people are gone. First there's lights on that are never on at 3 in the morning. Second a vehicle is missing that's always there any other time. It's a pretty obvious giveaway. Usually if someone is going to rob u it is not random they will check u out a couple of days. Also turn your alarm on, does no good to leave it off, and if it was off during the robbery the insurance will not cover it. Also security systems really do NO good. See when that alarm is activated a security company waits 3 minutes to call you, then if no answer then they will call the cops. Most alarms do not go right to the cops even bank alarms go through a monitoring center. On average it takes 10 or more minutes fora police response. 10 minutes is a longggg time in a burglary, run a time test. Start a watch then open your door and act like a robber, see all the stuff you can get. You will be surprised. A dog doesn't really do any good either, most house dogs are people friendly and even gaurd dogs unless you keep them well feed they will take food and leave you alone. If your using safes don't use the little fire safes, easy to carry away. If u can bolt the safes down! Don't hide stuff in obvious places like drawers or under beds or up
High. Actually the most obvious place is kinda best, they will think not to look there since they are looking for HIDING places. If you use a dead bolt on your front door then use one that requires a key to lock unlock, not a regular one. A window is easy to bust with a towel and piece of tape then just reach inside, not a sound will be heard. If you live in a city remember your neighbors are not watch dogs. Windows are closed with blinds, always people coming and going everywhere, cars with loud radios, car alarms going off all the time and people get numb to it and stop paying attention. Your best defense is good locks that require a key and long enough to go into the jam not just the thin wooden frame. Low thorny bushes around windows to deter people. If you have a sliding door make sure the door doesn't wiggle makes it easier to pry open. But mostly don't leave lights on when your gone. Because who really leaves lights on 24/7 then all of the sudden don't. Be safe hope it helps.

Camron

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you spend a little more on security monitoring than you don't have to face all these things.Because they can maintain your security system as well as they provide you security monitoring of your security system when you are not at home.
Brisbane Security

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you spend a little more on security monitoring than you don't have to face all these things.Because they can maintain your security system as well as they provide you security monitoring of your security system when you are not at home.

My monitoring company calls my home in less than 60 secs, usually less than 30 secs. I told them when I signed up if I didn't get response in less than 60 sec they would no longer be my company. Not much I can do about police response time, last test was 9 mins which is why I keep guns hidden through out home.

Lights are on timers, go off in one room then on in another in cycles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who uses a different security sign then the one he has. Timers on the lights also help a little.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ehem, home security systems are akin to antivirus/firewalls for your home computer, trust me, if they want in, they will get in, without you ever knowing it..example hackers breaking into NSA mainframes, or into the control computers for nuclear reactors, with all the dedicated hardware firewalls in place, do you really think your little software firewall, or adt number pad will stop them ?
Put hardened steel bars on your windows, then get concrete filled doors and slap on a medeco deadbolt.
Then get yourself a meilink TL30 burglary safe, get one in the 2 ton+ range...and rest easy knowing your material possessions are safe..literally

Mike

P.S. I am a retired/disabled/locksmith

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehem, home security systems are akin to antivirus/firewalls for your home computer, trust me, if they want in, they will get in, without you ever knowing it..example hackers breaking into NSA mainframes, or into the control computers for nuclear reactors, with all the dedicated hardware firewalls in place, do you really think your little software firewall, or adt number pad will stop them ?
Put hardened steel bars on your windows, then get concrete filled doors and slap on a medeco deadbolt.
Then get yourself a meilink TL30 burglary safe, get one in the 2 ton+ range...and rest easy knowing your material possessions are safe..literally

Mike

P.S. I am a retired/disabled/locksmith

If they want in I have plenty of free lead I will give them......

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work for a security company here in Aus.
The way things work here is,
Alarm goes off
Monitoring centre calls owner/keyholder
If they say yes to sending a patrol the monitoring company calls the security company who they contract with
The guard gets the details and makes his way there obeying all traffic rules etc.

This is on top of the guard being on a preset roster of jobs to be done, so may not be even on the same side of town at the time of call, leading to a 20+minute turn around between phone call and turning up at the job address.

Not to mention, towards the end of the month, the monitoring companies feel the need to churn some revenue, so start remotly activating alarms.
I once got called to a repeat address where the owners were home all day and the alarm wasn't even turned on. And they had a go at me (being to face to face point of contact, don't shoot the messenger) and he had said the same thing happens every month.

So I will never have an alarm in my house, I will instead have 360deg sensor flood lights and also CCTV on secure harddrive monitoring the outside of my house and the common areas, as well as a 8' colorbond fence and video intercom on the gate. I will also have my electricity metres on the outside fence, so the meter reader doesn't have to come inside the yard to do the quarterly readings(this is now becoming a common practice here in Aus, just the meters are outside, the fuses and mains switches are still on the house so can't be tampered with) I will also consider obtaining a council issued "dangerous dog" sign for the front fence, as these are only issued by the council to houses that have being reported and inspected to have a dangerous dog on site.

All these things will come when I buy my first house in the next 2 years, as atm just stuck in a unit, so can only plan and save in the mean time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had none of those issues in 13 years I have had alarm.

My provider knows if they do not respond to my alarm in under 1 min I will take my business elsewhere too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread