"Sedaline" bottle, please help ID

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Hey there glass lovers.

I've already posted this finds of mine in the "What's it" forum but today it occured to me that I had seen a "Bottles & Glass" forum at some point and I checked again and "voila"...
So I'll repost this here, too, for the more specialized folks to see...

I went out on a walk some days ago to one of my “hunting spots”, a hillside overlooking the seashore with some dugout trenches near a former WW2 machine gun bunker where I have found before some spent shell cases and barbed wire etc.
Today I found absolutely nothing of that kind but I made two odd trench finds.

View attachment 1073670

The glass bottle was under a bush near the trenches. The cursive raised inscription reads “Sedaline”, there’s a “52” on the bottom of the octagonal bottle and a makers mark and the black plastic screw-cap has a “Vita” logo on top. Glass looks old, has this irridescent glow all over it. The bottle is about 17cm (~6 1/2 inch) tall and 6cm (~2 1/2 inch) wide.
My other find is a brass lipstick case/tube ignore it it's been IDed.

View attachment 1074206

On the next day I found this shard of glass with a manufacturers mark and a "7" on each side of it on it and I immediately realised this shard had the same mark as the bottom of the bottle I found yesterday!
What are the odds to that happening by accident at two diffrent WW2 locations? This mark looks like a capital "Y" with 2 prongs protruding from the base as one can see in the attached picture.

Some fellow TNeters have suggested Sedaline to be a cough syrup and one can google a Sedaline (Sedalin) horse tranquilizer. But I'd love a more accurate identification if possible... Or maybe someone can ID the makers mark at least.

Thanks in advance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread