Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The phrase "seeing the elephant" is an Americanism (or American phrase) of the mid to late 19th century.[SUP][1][/SUP] Seen throughout the United States in the Mexican-American War, the Texas Santa Fe Expedition, the American Civil War, the 1849 Gold Rush, and the Westward Expansion Trails (Oregon Trail, California Trail, Mormon Trail), the mythical elephant was an extremely popular way of expressing an overwhelming emotion. During the 20th century the phrase faded from popularity but when historians started taking note of its recurrence in historical newspapers, journals, and literature they often summed the elephant up too quickly and categorized it as a negative experience. Desolation and sadness may have been one trait of seeing the elephant, but it was certainly not the only or even the most prevalent. More often, American pioneers of the Overland Trails talk of the excitement and anticipation of heading west to see the elephant. Elephant "sightings" often begin with excitement and high ideals only to be disappointing or disenchanting. The high excitement followed by the low frustrations are what epitomize the elephant as something most wanted to "see" but few would have wanted to "see" again.

-------------------------

I have never heard of this phrase.

just curious who has. anyone's grandma or grandpa ever say it?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have.Seeing the elephant was a term that the civil war soldiers used after they experienced combat.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
When your brain refuses to accept what you are actually seeing is real.So you see a elephant instead. :-\ This is how the phase ignoring the pink elephant in the room came about.

Last edited:

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The rendition I heard as follows-
It started in NC. An ol farmer heard the circus was coming to town and had an elephant. He had never seen an elephant, so this was exciting. The day the circus was coming to town, the ol farmer loaded his family and canned goods they could sell into their wagon and went to town. He pulled along side the road going into town and awaited. Soon he heard the caliope(sp?) i the distance. Soon it was there, but his horse bolted from the noise and dumped his family, broke all their can goods and trashed the wagon. Friends ran over to see if the farmer and his family were alright. The ol farmer said, all was okay, because he saw the elephant.
The analogy (sp?) was, when the prospectors from NC left their homes, farms, businesses, families to venture west to CA; they pretty much lost everything, but saw the gold and all was good!
Now, I know this is all true cause I learned it thru the Clampers (ECV).
Shep

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is interesting. I knew of the 'pink elephant' in the room kind of translation but never heard of seeing the elephant :)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It is based on the crossing of a mountain pass by Hannibal using elephants. You can imagine what his foes thought when they saw him coming thru the pass with elephants. I think Hannible was a General of sort. It is in recorded history. Frank

Attachments

• rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 108

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same as Red. Civil war.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My great grandpa saw it once while exploring the west, said Bigfoot was riding it. I never believed him, strange thing though, right before he died he was complaining that it felt like an elephant was standing on his chest. :laughing7: Pretty spooky, hu.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread