Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Seeking Booty, Archaeologists Dive to Blackbeard's Pirate Ship

Its been 2 years since archaeologists did any serious work on the wreck. They should turn it over to the commercial treasure hunters. They will have it fully excavated in one season!

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro

Don't the archies think that leaving things in situ is a good thing. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: So why the following comment by the project archie??? "“It’s imperative that we stop the damaging effects of salt water on these treasures,” Southerly said of the underwater corrosion-prevention process. " Wish they would make up their minds. Wait a minute. In situ is only good until they find the stuff. I get it.

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse

I disagree these are good archies they cannot pay their bills on what they get paid and they support open minded recovery. You should think about what you posted unless ...you know the real facts, and no, on your best day most of you could not excavate a wreck better than these guys let alone properly, you should think before you type these kind of posts listed above are the reason academic nazis fire bullets and most end up with the bs attitude that is flying around ...go QAR archies go !!!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thats just the point OG74. The academic archies don't have the funds to do a proper excavation. And in the meantime, the artifacts are deteriorating. And yes, I know the details. The archies tried to presreve the site with a tarp covered with sand until they could get back. Well they don't know anything about ocean dynamics. The currents uncovered the tarp and spread artifacts over a 50 yard area causing further damage to whatever is left!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Oh no salvor6 !! Say it isn't soooo! That can't possibly be? They're professionials afterall :o

I had to chuckle one time, watching some discovery channel documentary, about some lake in Europe, where artifacts were being pulled up from next to an ancient wharf/dock area. As the scuba divers showed off an ancient sword, the archaeologist launched into their explanation of the finds: "ancient soldiers would religiously ceremonially offer their sword, to the warrior gods of dieties, by dropping a sword overboard off the dock, in hopes of drumming up favor for their battles", blah blah blah. I had to laugh my head off, becuase as ANY of us md'rs already knows, it's simply amazing the things people can accidentally drop off wharves and docks, right? But to dingbat non-mdr's, they can't imagine why a ring would be on a beach (I mean, certainly, the person would have been careful not to loose such a valuable ring right? And certainly they'd "go back and look for it, and not just leave it there on the beach" right?). So to explain these lost valuables in water, the archies had this spiritual sacrifice to-the-gods explanation type cr*p.

But I bet lots of people watching that, would have no reason to dis-believe it, because afterall, "they're professional archaeologists". :tongue3:

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Tom_in_CA said:
So to explain these lost valuables in water, the archies had this spiritual sacrifice to-the-gods explanation type cr*p.

But I bet lots of people watching that, would have no reason to dis-believe it, because afterall, "they're professional archaeologists". :tongue3:

Yes, I'm sure the real reason stuff like a sword ends up in the water is not quite so romantic. More like "Hey, Thor, help me off this boat." Oops, *clang* *bonk* *sploosh*. "Damn, that was a new sword."

I wonder if archies in the future will be explaining how people from our time period would ritualistically throw cel-phones overboard. Lord knows, any marina will have a few on the bottom.

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other

The archies are elitists with rods jammed firmly up their asses, so they'd never include treasure hunters in such a search. It would probably "hurt their pride" lol. So much for doing whatever they can to salvage the artifacts. If they were smart, they'd strike a deal with some salvage firm and get this done.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How would the archies explain the cell-phones droped in the toilet? It could possibably be related to some kind of mating ritual?

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At one point in my life, I wanted to become a Marine Archie. Then i studied their works a little better, and most of them follow the find it and leave it decree. Which seems stupid to me, especially when things in the ocean ROT away and will never be seen by anyone. It would seem to me that we, here, call us what ever name you wish, have a better idea what to do with said "riches" on the bottom of the ocean. Pull 'em up, preserve, protect and display them for the world to see and gawk at. Save history, and let those with wandering minds to discover it. Think about it, kids today just sit inside and play video games all day. Well..... what if you said "hey come with me, we are going to the beach today, I think it will be fun!". and then, that kid finds his/her first spanish cob at the waterline from the 1715 wrecks.
Now this kid, is thinking about history, thinking about a new hobby, and even a new skill set to enable this hobby. He will learn history, not only local, but world history. He will learn how to preserve artifacts. He will learn to identify artifacts which most kids have never even seen, but only heard about in a discovery channel tv show. He will hopefully get to, one day, touch an item that was lost for 300 years or more, and maybe that item will go to a museum, with HIS/HER name attached to the plaque identifying the item.

IMHO most....not all but most.. archies. need to stick to digging in the dirt for bones and clay pots and leave mother ocean and her treasures to the people want to see it brought to light for the world to enjoy.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,

A number of years ago there was a story about the captains cannon, basically a cannon was loaded with treasure then was sealed with a lead plug and some treasure salvors found one, bored a hole in the lead plug, inserted an fiber optic camera which showed all kinds of interesting stuff. They closed with the promise of more to come as they opened it in the lab which never came to be.... anyone out there know what happened to this?

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sheldon J said:
A number of years ago there was a story about the captains cannon, basically a cannon was loaded with treasure then was sealed with a lead plug and some treasure salvors found one, bored a hole in the lead plug, inserted an fiber optic camera which showed all kinds of interesting stuff. They closed with the promise of more to come as they opened it in the lab which never came to be.... anyone out there know what happened to this?

Yeah , I remember seeing this also . It was quite a few years back when this was on .
At the last thing they said it was being taken to the lab to be opened and all would be put on display for all to see
the wonders that where inside !
I looked and looked and never saw anything about it again . I have to wonder what happened to all that loot that was in that cannon , as the whole story just dropped off the face of the Earth .

And during the show they showed some of what was in the Cannon and it was awesome as it had Gold and just about everything you would think would be in there .
But now it is gone , taken by the Pros back to a school to never be seen again.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

The ghost of Blackbeard is no doubt getting a good laugh out of all this wrangling over the QAR....

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,

Daedalus said:
Sheldon J said:

Yeah , I remember seeing this also . It was quite a few years back when this was on .
At the last thing they said it was being taken to the lab to be opened and all would be put on display for all to see
the wonders that where inside !
I looked and looked and never saw anything about it again . I have to wonder what happened to all that loot that was in that cannon , as the whole story just dropped off the face of the Earth .

And during the show they showed some of what was in the Cannon and it was awesome as it had Gold and just about everything you would think would be in there .
But now it is gone , taken by the Pros back to a school to never be seen again.

Glad to see I'm not the only old fart here, all kinds of sparkles were seen on the fiber optic cam and that would be a great story all by it's self... and as to Blackbeard's ship.... not much treasure there everyone knows it's buried on OAK island., or is that the Knights of the Templars I forsget...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread