✅ SOLVED Seeking Opinion on North Dakota Maul

wolfcouncil

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to post a few pics of an artifact I've got from North Dakota. It was found in the Valley City area of North Dakota many years ago by a lady friend of my boss, who found it in the edge of a lake while out walking with her husband. She had used it as a door stop for many years, but gave it to my boss, who is a friend of hers, on a trip he took to visit her. He didn't want it so he passed it along to me. I've never seen a grooved piece quite like it myself, and was wondering if it could be a historic piece, or if the tribes in that part of the Dakotas would have fashioned these. It did have alot of lake patina built up on the one side, that I released with a soak in vinegar. You can still see where it was patinated. It is super wear polished in the groove, and the groove does not run perfectly straight around it, it's a little higher to one side. It just seems the only ones I've seen similar this were more historic maybe. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you pass it on as it has done in the past......pass it to me 8-).
Thats a fine looking artifact. I dont know about soaking it in what you did though might hurt it. Just leave it the way it is looks better. rock

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks and sounds like you have a rather generous boss. As large as it is, it may have used as a horse hobble.

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
Looks like the hammer stones found around the ancient Michigan copper mines to me , used in the mining process. Great acquisition!!

OP
OP
W

wolfcouncil

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi old digger, i just found an older post by mr. larson on granite horse tethers. with your opinion, and reading his thread, i really think that may be what this is.
Thanks

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yes....that could be a "something else"....not a blade side so not an ax....hammer? could be.....if i had found it on the coast I would have said net anchor.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
This piece is really interesting, we all understand the hammer or sledge end of it but the rounded end must have had some specific use to go to all that work to make it, also the weight is considerable, I know that end would easily smash a downed wounded buffalos skull to put it out of its misery quickly to begin the butchering process. Just a thought, any other ideas?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks and sounds like you have a rather generous boss. As large as it is, it may have used as a horse hobble.

Hi old digger, i just found an older post by mr. larson on granite horse tethers. with your opinion, and reading his thread, i really think that may be what this is.
Thanks

nice to know that some you are aware of the different uses of these
yup i think that was a large maul used for building or breaking marrow bones
if it did not show the heavy wear to the one end i would say it would be a horse tether.........
..........also it still could have been a horse tether at some time in its life
the horse tether was explained to me by an old Lakota or Hunkpapa Sioux lady.......
...........she worked at the catholic church in fort yates north dakota (standing rock reservation).......
they had a lot of them displayed in a long glass case.....musta been 50-100 of them in that case......it was clear to see the differences with a close look
these were common around here since the different sizes of granite field stone are found in the dakotas

larson1951

OP
OP
W

wolfcouncil

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas. They are all much appreciated. I really enjoy learning new things, especially about the people and history of this wonderful place we all call home. It really is an honor and pleasure to be able to study and enjoy this piece for a time, but I will be passing it along as well, for more people to learn and enjoy. It would be nice to put it into the case with the all others at Ft. Yates one day, that would be an honor as well. Thanks again for all the comments. WC

elkes4

Nov 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have found a larger Maul type rock. I found it in the local creek in southern Minnesota where Dakota also lived. It does look like a large hammer type however I thought could possible to have been an anchor of some sort. It is too oddly shaped to have been used to crush berries and nuts however I did ask this question to a local tribesmen. So far the only answers I have received have been that it possibly was used to anchor their tent or as a boat anchor. Basically it looks like many of the mauls I have seen however far larger in size. Any Help?

elkes4

Nov 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, read the other posts ... computer too slow ... horse tether or for buffalo does work better and more explanation too.

Davey Crockett

Mar 28, 2020
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm late for the show , Did you take the picture down ? Was thinking I'd compare to the ones we find in Northern ND .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post pictures of maul otherwise thread doesn't mean much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread